The Stone Angel

Based on the best-selling novel by Margaret Laurence

Topic author
crazy burgers
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Nov 16, 2008 11:55 pm

I had the luxury of catching this film on the Hallmark channel. I had heard about it because Ellen Burstyn was in it, and she is just [...]

So upon watching it and in awe of Burstyn's performance, Ellen Page walked through the door. Wow.

By the end, I was feeling that sensation in my tummy box that spread throught my blood of a beautiful almost cry worthy performance by Burstyn and Page.
Even as a member of the walking dead, I was not yet forsaken.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 17, 2008 12:02 am

I moved the topic to the TSA section. Please make sure you're in the right category next time.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jan 19, 2009 4:13 pm

I have heard this was a good movie, but that Ellen Page isn't really in it much, and is more like a cameo thing. Is this true?
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Jan 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Forum Shark wrote:I have heard this was a good movie, but that Ellen Page isn't really in it much, and is more like a cameo thing. Is this true?
She's in it for roughly 10 minutes. But even if Ellen weren't apart of it, the movie would still be very much worth seeing.

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Jan 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Baboon wrote: She's in it for roughly 10 minutes. But even if Ellen weren't apart of it, the movie would still be very much worth seeing.
Ditto. The movie is quite good and holds its own well. Ellen is just a bonus. :p
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jan 21, 2009 4:22 am

Hey, thanks, guys. I really want to see it, now. However, my parents have found out that the Ellen Page movies are rated R, and therefore do not want me watching them (at least the R rated ones). So, my question is- "Why is it rated R?" It looks like it would be a nice movie about a rebellious old lady from the trailers. I really want to see it, but at the same time, don't really want to disobey my parents. Sorry if I'm sounding really immature (I am not) but this movie looks really good. Thanks.
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Jan 21, 2009 5:15 am

Forum Shark wrote:don't really want to disobey my parents.
:stare:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but if I remember right, it's a pretty mild R rating. There's a bit of sex ( I don't remember any nudity) and some language.

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jan 21, 2009 5:30 am

so did your parents just realize Ellen's movies are rated R after you saw Hard Candy? cuz The Stone Angel is like a family film in comparison. :sassy: if you took out the sex and the language, it would definitely get a PG or PG-13 at the most.

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Jan 21, 2009 5:49 am

Yeah I just realized that he's already seen HC and AAC.

If you're parents let you watch those (whether they knew they were R or not) then they should have no problem letting you watch Stone Angel.

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jan 21, 2009 3:03 pm

They knew I saw those, but I tend to be light on the details. Once I told them about an American Crime, they got pretty peeved I've been watching these R rated movies. I will try to convince them, and I'm pretty sure it's mandatory reading in Canada, here, so I can use that to my advantage. (Insert devious laugh here).

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 22, 2009 3:52 am

Finally watched this movie earlier today and all I can say is, this might be the worst movie I have ever seen. A total snoozefest. Of course, EP was cute and fantastic as always but her role is so small, it almost wasn't worth waiting for.

This is the first EP movie I've seen that I didn't like.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Jun 22, 2009 7:18 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote:... all I can say is, this might be the worst movie I have ever seen.
:rofl: I dont know why but that has really amused me. I actually haven't seen it so I dont know but it doesn't look that appealing. I never read it in school either. We read some other crappy book.

I have probably seen all the scenes that EP is in anyways so I guess there's no need.
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Joe R.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jun 22, 2009 9:49 am

Cute as always indeed but the story line is damn depressing :disappointed: . Plus Ellens part....now that I think about it :waaah: , that has to be the first semi-sterotypical role she has played despite it's brevity. Those who have watched the movie can analyze her cameo and judge for themselves. just a mid-sentence observation... :biggrin:
And I was pissed watching Ellens progression in the movie... :?: :ohnoes: :weep: :cyring: :ohman:
Our dreams keep us youthful and alive,the very breath which helps us thrive.
Our dreams are tangible and they keep us optimistic.
It's intangible when our dreams go from a dream to becoming realistic.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Lori wrote:
JerseyDevil65 wrote:... all I can say is, this might be the worst movie I have ever seen.
:rofl: I dont know why but that has really amused me. I actually haven't seen it so I dont know but it doesn't look that appealing. I never read it in school either. We read some other crappy book.
They make school kids read this book? Probably as punishment for being bad.
:laugh:

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Jun 22, 2009 10:54 pm

JerseyDevil65 wrote: They make school kids read this book? Probably as punishment for being bad.
:laugh:
Grade 12 or university. Margaret Laurence was a celebrated and award winning Canadian author, so it is no surprise that her books (Stone Angel is not the only one used in school) would be studied Canadian literature in her home country.

The film suffers from trying to cram too much of the book's storyline into a 90 minute time span. The result is that many of the plot points aren't properly flushed out and many of the sub plots are left for dead after brief screen time in attempt to cover a very broad a story in too short a time. They tried to do too much and ended up with not enough. I enjoyed the film anyway. :noclue:
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jul 22, 2010 9:44 pm

Found myself very bored and disapppointed after this. Managed to catch it on LoveFilm's watch online service for free since I'm a member and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Ellen was in it for all of 10 minutes
► Show Spoiler
I can see why she would have got involved, but she's suited more for leading roles.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Noodle
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jul 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Watched it last night, and thought it was okay. Nothing special, but certainly not "the worst film I've ever seen". It seems a bit rediculous that on the DVD cover Ellen (Page :P ) is the most prominent person and yet her character is so minor and she is barely in it, I guess it was just a method of widening the audience. Ellen Burstyn's performance was good on the whole, but it just seemed a bit weak at times. I don't think it helps having seen Requiem for a Dream, considering her performance in that is astounding.

Joro
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jul 24, 2010 7:52 pm

I started watching the movie 3 times. My record is ~20 minutes before I fall asleep.
I guess it wasn't exactly Oscar material =P
It's not that I don't try being polite, it's just that I fail most of the time.