Register   Login  FAQ  Rules  Search
Forum  Homepage  Smartfeed  Contact   Archive

Board index » Movies » Juno

Post subject: Juno - Revisited
 Post Post Number: #1 Posted: Jun 06, 2010 2:35 am 
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

It's only been 3 years since Juno hit the big screen and won over audiences just about everywhere. Though not a lot of time has passed, Cinematical, a movie blog, has decided to revisit and review the movie again. To read the article, go here:

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/05/07/cinematical-movie-club-juno/

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #2 Posted: Jun 06, 2010 3:45 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I don't know why so much is made of the dialog in Juno. For me, it only got in the way in the first scene with Rollo (Rainn Wilson). Once that scene was over I was swept up alongside Juno for the rest of the movie. I've seen it thirty times or more - I just wanted to be with Ellen (Juno) - I don't think the dialog had anything to do with that one way or the other. Ellen projected this presence that just captivated me. I find it hard to be analytical about the movie. I think I just wanted to be with her on her journey. It's a force of attraction that keeps me watching all her work.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #3 Posted: Jun 06, 2010 2:18 pm 
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Well, I guess some people are distracted by the teenage dialogue - which they find too stylized - and find it takes them out of the movie. However, it wouldn't be the first movie in which teenage chatter becomes a pop culture phenomenon. Back in the 80s, Heathers was all the rage and kids were quoting it left, right, and center. Same with some of the movies that John Hughes directed, too. And yeah, sadly, I know how much that dates me! :laugh:

It'll be interesting to see how Juno "ages" as a film. It's a real sweet and heart warming story at its core, and I'll think it'll hold-up.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #4 Posted: Jun 06, 2010 4:28 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Strawberry_Letter23 wrote:
Back in the 80s, Heathers was all the rage and kids were quoting it left, right, and center. Same with some of the movies that John Hughes directed, too. And yeah, sadly, I know how much that dates me!

Well I hate to admit but I was a teenager in the 60's, growing up in the UK, and was influenced by the Beatles. They had that Liverpudlian way of speaking plus influenced fashion and of course revolutionized the music biz. New "scenes" are a natural fit for safe teenage rebellion. Maybe Diablo Cody meant to emphasize the dialog to simply bring this facet of teenage development to the foreground. More likely though it was mainly for humor - retro teen-speak 8)

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #5 Posted: Jun 06, 2010 10:42 pm 
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Quote:
Well I hate to admit but I was a teenager in the 60's, growing up in the UK, and was influenced by the Beatles. They had that Liverpudlian way of speaking plus influenced fashion and of course revolutionized the music biz. New "scenes" are a natural fit for safe teenage rebellion. Maybe Diablo Cody meant to emphasize the dialog to simply bring this facet of teenage development to the foreground. More likely though it was mainly for humor - retro teen-speak

I think that teenage talk in movies are usually how the kids speak at the time the movie takes place; in other words, it is reflective of the particular time period the films are made in, or are suppose to represent. As for Juno, such phrases as "Honest to blog" is something only a teenager in the last few years would say, obviously. Because if you go back 10-20 years, blogs didn't exist, and no teen let alone anyone else would use such a phrase. And of course, it's a cute riff on "Honest to God."

Personally, I had no problems with the dialogue in Juno. I thought it did represent how some teenagers really do talk.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #6 Posted: Jun 07, 2010 6:21 am 
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

I always felt, that, people who had problems with the dialog in Juno probably wanted to see another film where teenagers just do the usual "Hollywood stuff" that kids do not really do in real life, anyway

Juno was really more like most teens of my era (the 80's) and most teens today. If you look at most teen movies....they usually deal with some kid or kids from upper-middle class backgrounds....few deal with working class backgrounds. I mean, come on, most kids were not like Ferris Bueller (the most overrated teen movie of all time). The lasting impact of Juno will be its blue-collar roots. Even my fave 80s teen movie....Fast Times at Ridgemont High....the kids were from upper-class families...even Spicoli

I think the dialog was funny and clever....most kids do not talk like that....but most kids do not talk like Snoop Dogg, either.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #7 Posted: Jun 08, 2010 2:20 am 
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Quote:
Juno was really more like most teens of my era (the 80's) and most teens today. If you look at most teen movies....they usually deal with some kid or kids from upper-middle class backgrounds....few deal with working class backgrounds. I mean, come on, most kids were not like Ferris Bueller (the most overrated teen movie of all time). The lasting impact of Juno will be its blue-collar roots. Even my fave 80s teen movie....Fast Times at Ridgemont High....the kids were from upper-class families...even Spicoli

I think the dialog was funny and clever....most kids do not talk like that....but most kids do not talk like Snoop Dogg, either.

You thought Juno was working class? Her Dad and step-mom had blue collar type jobs, sure, but they weren't exactly depicted as poor and struggling. They owned their own home, her Dad had a mini-van, and no one ever talked about financial difficulties. They seemed comfortably middle class to me. Don't foget that some blue collar type jobs can be very high-paying. I think her Dad was doing ok financially.

A film depicting a teenager in a true working class/poverty environment, would be the movie 'Precious.' Hollywood doesn't often depict true poverty/working class films because they tend not to be box office draws, and anything that doesn't sound like it's going to make money is not something that the studios will make. Precious started out as an indie film that somehow attracted the attention of Oprah Winfrey, and once she got on board championing it, it soon found a distributor.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #8 Posted: Jun 08, 2010 6:22 am 
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Juno's family was definitely blue collar. They were not starving....but they definitely were not making big bucks....even though they owned their own businesses. Note that they had just the Previa as the family car...and one with a few years on it. Mac's work van was definitely 10+ years old. Also, this working class/higher class issue was quite developed when they first went to meet with the Lorings in their upscale neighborhood.

Now, in reality, the neighborhood where they filmed Juno was quite middle class...in fact it looks a lot more upscale than in the film (flimed in Vancouver)....I went by the house when I was in Vancouver for the Olympics. However, in the film, Juno and her family were definitely working class...much like the other families (Bleeker, Leah) living in that area

I have not seen Precious....but that movie the family was definitely dirt poor...on govt assistance. They made the MacGuffs look rich :D

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #9 Posted: Jun 08, 2010 10:05 pm 
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

UCFRdWarrior wrote:
Juno's family was definitely blue collar. They were not starving....but they definitely were not making big bucks....even though they owned their own businesses. Note that they had just the Previa as the family car...and one with a few years on it. Mac's work van was definitely 10+ years old. Also, this working class/higher class issue was quite developed when they first went to meet with the Lorings in their upscale neighborhood.

Now, in reality, the neighborhood where they filmed Juno was quite middle class...in fact it looks a lot more upscale than in the film (flimed in Vancouver)....I went by the house when I was in Vancouver for the Olympics. However, in the film, Juno and her family were definitely working class...much like the other families (Bleeker, Leah) living in that area

In real life Juno's home is worth about a million dollars, Leah's house even more, in the range of 1.2-1.3 million, its all about location. The Loring's house on the other hand is worth about $850,000.

The Toyota Previa was available in North America between 1991 and 1997 and the MacGuff's was definitely an earlier example making it at around 15 years old at the time of filming.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #10 Posted: Jun 09, 2010 6:33 am 
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

bluetoes591 wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:

In real life Juno's home is worth about a million dollars, Leah's house even more, in the range of 1.2-1.3 million, its all about location. The Loring's house on the other hand is worth about $850,000.

The Toyota Previa was available in North America between 1991 and 1997 and the MacGuff's was definitely an earlier example making it at around 15 years old at the time of filming.

Would not surprise me on how much those homes in Vancouver would cost....I know the homes near the Juno house were really nice....its a real nice neighborhood

You know, if you put those homes in suburban Minneapolis (where the film was supposed to be set)....they would barely be 1/5 or 1/6th of the cost. The US midwest tends to have cheap housing prices

Vancouver real estate is very expensive :D That I do know :)

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #11 Posted: Jun 09, 2010 9:03 am 
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

UCFRdWarrior wrote:

Allow me to revise your statement, Vancouver real estate is insanely expensive. 350 sq ft condo downtown starts at $225,000 and goes up steeply from there. And this is with real estate in a slump, a couple of years ago stuff was worth 20% more.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #12 Posted: Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm 
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

bluetoes591 wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:

Allow me to revise your statement, Vancouver real estate is insanely expensive. 350 sq ft condo downtown starts at $225,000 and goes up steeply from there. And this is with real estate in a slump, a couple of years ago stuff was worth 20% more.

That same condo in Manhattan is over $1,000,000. Now thats insane. :)

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #13 Posted: Jun 09, 2010 6:17 pm 
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

JerseyDevil65 wrote:

:stare: 350 sq ft ones peak at about $650,000 here.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #14 Posted: Jun 10, 2010 2:29 am 
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

UCFRdWarrior wrote:

I have not seen Precious....but that movie the family was definitely dirt poor...on govt assistance. They made the MacGuffs look rich :D

Since I'm not a car person, I didn't catch the Previa as signifier of their social class. I was looking at the fact that both of Juno's parents had decent jobs, had their own home, and no one complained of money woes. Sure, the film did depict the class difference between the Lorings and the McGuffs, but the divide isn't that wide between the two. The Lorings are depicted as a well to do yuppie couple, and are basically just one strata above the McGuffs class wise. If the Lorings were uber wealthy, they would have gotten an expedited private adoption, and would never had put their add in the Penny Saver, and therefore would never have met Juno.

I haven't seen Precious either, but I know people that have, and fair warning, it's a tough movie, one that will wring you out emotionally. Precious is definitely poor, and the McGuffs would certainly seem rich to her - not just financially, but emotionally as well. And by that, I mean that the McGuffs are a happy and whole family unit. Whereas Precious doesn't have a supportive family unit as an emotional resource.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #15 Posted: Jun 10, 2010 6:14 am 
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

bluetoes591 wrote:
JerseyDevil65 wrote:

:stare: 350 sq ft ones peak at about $650,000 here.

Ouch :D No wonder why I left the Olympics broke :D

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #16 Posted: Jun 16, 2010 3:57 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:
Juno's family was definitely blue collar. They were not starving....but they definitely were not making big bucks....even though they owned their own businesses.

I agree - I would say "working class" -especially when you compare the scene in the MacGuff's kitchen where Mac is repairing an electric motor on the kitchen table. Contrast that with the Loring's kitchen scenes. Mac works primarily with his hands whereas Mark is a creative type - I think their occupations slot them into different class levels.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #17 Posted: Jun 16, 2010 6:31 am 
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

JimH wrote:
Quote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:
Juno's family was definitely blue collar. They were not starving....but they definitely were not making big bucks....even though they owned their own businesses.

I agree - I would say "working class" -especially when you compare the scene in the MacGuff's kitchen where Mac is repairing an electric motor on the kitchen table. Contrast that with the Loring's kitchen scenes. Mac works primarily with his hands whereas Mark is a creative type - I think their occupations slot them into different class levels.

I agree. Their occupations...and definitely their homes...show the differences in class and income. Not sure what Vanessa did for a living...but Mark definitely made some money writing jingles for commercials :biggrin: Got them that kitchen....

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #18 Posted: Jul 22, 2010 9:34 pm 
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

I annoy my best friend every day by quoting Juno at least 3 or 4 times. It's just such a feelgood movie and the fact that Ellen is postively amazing in it helps alot. I fell in love with Juno, as well as Ellen. And, to be frank, although most critics give it a good review, most say they hated the first 20 minutes, but for me, it had the best dialogue. The whole Rollo-Juno pregnancy test bit at the start was pure genius and the Morgan Freeman joke has me in stitches every time. Human reaction to films always differs to critics, possibly because critics aren't human beings... :yellowink:

In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #19 Posted: Jul 23, 2010 8:10 pm 
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

GiveHimTheKick wrote:
I annoy my best friend every day by quoting Juno at least 3 or 4 times. It's just such a feelgood movie and the fact that Ellen is postively amazing in it helps alot. I fell in love with Juno, as well as Ellen. And, to be frank, although most critics give it a good review, most say they hated the first 20 minutes, but for me, it had the best dialogue. The whole Rollo-Juno pregnancy test bit at the start was pure genius and the Morgan Freeman joke has me in stitches every time. Human reaction to films always differs to critics, possibly because critics aren't human beings... :yellowink:

Critics just don't remember when they were 16 apparently. I know me and my friends say some of the most ridiculous things ever you'd assume we were quoting something awful. It may have sounded corny but to me it sounded very real, especially where she speaks a little bit of Spanglish, that's something I do on a daily basis haha. They also seem to forget that Juno was supposed to be a little bit weird by social standards (which is why I found the character so lovable, and Ellen's a bit weird in real life, which is why I find her lovable in real life :tongue: ), so saying some funny sounding things just went along with her character well. The man in the convenience store also seemed to be screwing around with her, what he was saying probably wasn't his idea of normal speaking, but he was talking to her.

I dunno I love the first twenty minutes. Love the rest too, probably a bit more as it escalates (the birth scene might be one of the best scenes I've ever seen, starting with her asking for a "spinal tap" and ending with the note on the wall), but it was all great.

Top Print view 

Post Post Number: #20 Posted: Jul 25, 2010 11:46 pm 
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

It was on cable again this morning on USA. Of course I rented it again from nf.

Top Print view 

Board index » Movies » Juno