Blackwell

Mrs. Ashboro's Cat, Wilby Wonderful, Marion Bridge & Co

Topic author
jsmith11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sep 06, 2011 11:49 pm

This is now on Ellen's imdb page In development. Anyone know anything about this? It sounds like a terrific role and something MUCH different than what she usually does, particularly a period piece.

ELLEN’S NEW PROJECT “BLACKWELL” (UNCONFIRMED)
Details: Nellie Bly was one of the first female investigative journalists. The movie, set in 1888, follows Nellie as she fakes insanity in order to go undercover as an inmate at Blackwell’s Island, an impenetrable women’s asylum. However, once inside she discovers that it is nearly impossible to get out.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sep 07, 2011 2:24 am

Looks promising :)
http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/ ... _talks.htm
Can you tell us anything about Blackwell?
Blackwell is a dark, hallucinatory thriller based on a famous newspaper article written by Nellie Bly, one of the first female investigative journalists. The script is set in 1888 and follows Nellie as she fakes insanity in order to go undercover as an inmate at Blackwell's Island, a women's asylum. However, once inside she discovers that it is nearly impossible to get out.
David Higgins (Hard Candy) at Sobini Films is producing. Nellie Bly is the type of "big female part" that would require a young A-list actress such as Ellen Page. Interest is brewing among some exciting directors and actresses on that one, so I have high hopes
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly for interesting information and photos of Nellie Bly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 07, 2011 6:31 am

Would be so cool a role. Bly was a famous journalist who was way ahead of her time. Oh I can see Ellen as Nellie Bly :)

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Sep 07, 2011 10:28 am

It looks like the role has already been offered to Ellen a while ago, but perhaps she has finally signed on. I consider it a good sign that David Higgins from "Hard Candy" is attached to the project (which surely increases her chances to get the part).
Blackwell (Sobini Films)

Personally, I think this is the best script I've ever written. It tells the story of a real episode in the life of Nellie Bly, one of the first female investigative journalists. The movie, set in 1888, follows Nellie as she fakes insanity in order to go undercover as an inmate at Blackwell's Island, an impenetrable women's asylum. However, once inside she discovers that it is nearly impossible to get out.

Jon Cassar (24, The Kenedys) may end up directing it. Actresses such as Katie Holmes and Ellen Page have considered the role of proto-feminist Nellie Bly. But this is one that has been waiting for the right attachment for years. My fingers are still crossed.

Source: http://www.quora.com (June 2011)
RS: Your next project is BLACKWELL, you yourself listed the plot on IMDb, what can you tell us about BLACKWELL?

Sean Hood: BLACKWELL is a thriller based on a famous newspaper article written by Nellie Bly, one of the first female investigative journalists. The script, set in 1888, follows Nellie as she fakes insanity in order to go undercover as an inmate at Blackwell’s Island, an impenetrable women’s asylum. However, once inside she discovers that it is nearly impossible to get out.

David Higgins (Hard Candy) at Sobini Films is producing this project, but Nellie Bly is the type of “big female part” that would require an A-list actress, and while several directors have tried to get the project cast and off the ground, it will probably remain in limbo until an actress like Ellen Page or Natalie Portman falls in love with the role.

Source: http://www.ramascreen.com (January 20, 2011)
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks for the updates, this sounds very interesting. I'll definitely be following any further developments.

Topic author
jsmith11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sep 07, 2011 9:38 pm

A TV director and a writer of crap movies? :uhoh:

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sep 09, 2011 1:56 am

Nothing new - but better than nothing :rolleye:
http://www.starsentertainment.com/news/ ... drama.html
Inception star Ellen Page has been rumored to be in negotiations to star in the new psychological drama Blackwell. It has been reported that Page will portray the infamous Nellie Bly, the first female investigative journalist who fakes her insanity in order to enter Blackwell’s Island asylum as an undercover to crack her case. Little does she know, it’s nearly impossible to get out once you're in.

If you loved Shutter Island, then you should add this to your must-watch list!

Currently, the 24-year-old star has wrapped shooting Woody Allen’s comedy Bop Decameron which will debut next year at the Cannes Film Festival.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Sep 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Great news.

I think that's THE perfect part for Ellen, even though she mentioned in one of her interviews that she don't want to do period movies.
:fingercrossed: That this is going to happen.
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Sep 11, 2011 12:53 pm

It's a great part, but it sounds like the film could be relying on the right tone and direction. Let's hope she gets a great director to work with, then we could be talking Oscar country.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

FilmmakerforPage91
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Oct 03, 2011 12:40 am

jsmith11 wrote:This is now on Ellen's imdb page In development. Anyone know anything about this? It sounds like a terrific role and something MUCH different than what she usually does, particularly a period piece.

ELLEN’S NEW PROJECT “BLACKWELL” (UNCONFIRMED)
Details: Nellie Bly was one of the first female investigative journalists. The movie, set in 1888, follows Nellie as she fakes insanity in order to go undercover as an inmate at Blackwell’s Island, an impenetrable women’s asylum. However, once inside she discovers that it is nearly impossible to get out.
Wow, I want to see this movie! As a screenwriter the idea has a lot going for it. And with Ellen in the film it is sure to be a hit! I have two ideas that feature characters I have planned for Ellen and I hope she'll one to do one but she might do both! What a great day that would be.

For an actress like herself she always, manages to find rolls that most would not think her for, (Too stuck in the JUNO mold) the rolls that go above and beyond what people would think capable of doing or right for her - but she does them anyway.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Oct 03, 2011 9:03 am

plexus wrote:Great news.

I think that's THE perfect part for Ellen, even though she mentioned in one of her interviews that she don't want to do period movies.
Yeah but this is a strong female role, and more than anything it seems like she seeks out strong female characters who lead their own lives. Nellie Bly certainly qualifies.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

FilmmakerforPage91
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Oct 03, 2011 11:29 pm

bluetoes591 wrote:
plexus wrote:Great news.

Yeah but this is a strong female role, and more than anything it seems like she seeks out strong female characters who lead their own lives. Nellie Bly certainly qualifies.
I really, hopes she does it and turns around after the experience with the thought
of: "Wow, that was fun, intelligent and thought provoking!" Leading to her doing many
other Period pieces. But I do wonder, if this not wanting to do them - so it's been said
that does not want to do them, not to say I don't believe she said this but where can I
see the actual Quote for one? But, back to the point, I think it comes from the Jane Eyre
experience, meaning only that she was set up and it seemed at least to me from afar
that she was set up to star and it was going to be an amazing production which never did
come to a head. And that might have put her off for doing other works of similar natures.
But, I do so very much hope that - that is not the case!

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm

FilmmakerforPage91 wrote: I really, hopes she does it and turns around after the experience with the thought
of: "Wow, that was fun, intelligent and thought provoking!" Leading to her doing many
other Period pieces. But I do wonder, if this not wanting to do them - so it's been said
that does not want to do them, not to say I don't believe she said this but where can I
see the actual Quote for one? But, back to the point, I think it comes from the Jane Eyre
experience, meaning only that she was set up and it seemed at least to me from afar
that she was set up to star and it was going to be an amazing production which never did
come to a head. And that might have put her off for doing other works of similar natures.
Please don't take me too literal. I meant that more like: "I hope she isn't too serious with that."

About the quote. I found one indirect quote, but not the one I remembered. (un)Fortunately she's given many, many, many, many interviews over the years. I read LOTS of them, so I don't remember which was the one with the exact quote.
The A.V. Club Interview - Ellen Page by Sean O'Neal, published on March 31, 2011 wrote: AVC: You always seem extremely comfortable in your roles, whatever you’re doing. Are you interested in ever trying something that would turn you inside out as an actor—like a period piece, or a heavy accent, something challenging like that?

EP: None of those I’m naturally attracted to doing, to be honest. Maybe it’s because I’m scared, or I don’t have the guts. I don’t know.
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

FilmmakerforPage91
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Oct 04, 2011 7:22 pm

plexus wrote:
FilmmakerforPage91 wrote: I really, hopes she does it and turns around after the experience with the thought
Please don't take me too literal. I meant that more like: "I hope she isn't too serious with that."

About the quote. I found one indirect quote, but not the one I remembered. (un)Fortunately she's given many, many, many, many interviews over the years. I read LOTS of them, so I don't remember which was the one with the exact quote.
The A.V. Club Interview - Ellen Page by Sean O'Neal, published on March 31, 2011 wrote: AVC: You always seem extremely comfortable in your roles, whatever you’re doing. Are you interested in ever trying something that would turn you inside out as an actor—like a period piece, or a heavy accent, something challenging like that?

EP: None of those I’m naturally attracted to doing, to be honest. Maybe it’s because I’m scared, or I don’t have the guts. I don’t know.

Thanks! :yellowhappy: