The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo

Mrs. Ashboro's Cat, Wilby Wonderful, Marion Bridge & Co

Topic author
elizabethanne
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

May 12, 2010 4:17 pm

I saw an article at deadline hollywood that was very interesting. It appears that the book The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo will be made into an American Movie. There is already a Swedish version. The article says that Ellen and numerous other young actresses are very interested in the part of Lisbeth Salander. The article goes on to say that Ellen has even written the producer a letter about it. Does anyone know anything else about this?

Here is the link http://www.deadline.com/2010/05vying-fo ... atoo-role/.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Blogs seem to just be speculating on who'll play Lisbeth - each has their favorites. There does seem to be a lot of comments of support for Ellen from the public - usually quoting her performances in Hard Candy and The Tracey Fragments - showing her ability to play "dark material". David Fincher seems to be keeping quiet about all the casting decisions.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 15, 2010 5:06 am

I think that it's quite possible that once Inception is released that Fincher may be a little bit more interested in hiring Ellen. I have a feeling that the role that she plays there, 'Ariadne', will increase her popularity (and once again demonstrate her depth and range as an actress), and may even generate another Academy Award nomination (though likely in the Best Support Actress catergory, this time around).

Just wanted to follow up on this with some additional info on the film itself. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was a huge hit in Europe, and when it came to North America garnered rave reviews and some decent box office numbers.

To see trailers of GWDT on youtube, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8LI-h2WFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlF-hk3I ... re=related

As you can see, the character of Lisabeth Salander is physically reminiscent of Sherry in Mouth to Mouth and a little bit of Hayley in Hard Candy. Personally, I hope that Ellen does get this role. I'd like to see her in darker, edgier roles, and this role would break the stereotype some people have of her, of her being only able to play sassy, quirky, young teenage girls.

BTW, for those of you that are fluent in French, the original GWTD and it's sequel are available in DVD now. They are in the original Swedish but have French subtitles. The discs are available on Amazon and for DVD Region 1.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 20, 2010 1:30 pm

WTF, only two replies to such a topic. What's wrong with you guys?

First, I want to point out that I think Ellen can definitely pull off any role on this planet given to her. Guess what I thought when I saw this photo for the first time? "...that's Tracey Berkowitz leaning on a wall".

Without a doubt, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" would be a real challenge and a great opportunity for her to play a different type of character than she usually does. And according to The Playlist Nation, Ellen has even wrote a personal note to producer Scott Rudin to show her interest. (just wondering if that is true). But for me Lisbeth Salander is a mature, although admittedly tomboyish, woman in the early 30's as portrayed by Noomi Rapace (born in 1979) in the Swedish adaptation. I'm not sure if the audience would be able to connect to such a complex character if a very young looking actress is playing the part. Considering all the actors suggested by the press so far, my personal choice would be either Carey Mulligan ("An Education"), Natalie Portman ("V for Vendetta"), Keira Knightley ("Domino") or Anne Hathaway ("Havoc"). On the other side many people are cheering for Ellen due to her performances in "Hard Candy" and "The Tracey Fragments" (which is quite understandable) as you see in the comments on the articles.

However, the major question remains: Is it really necessary to make an American remake of very recent film? What could the Americans do differently? Okay, they might get rid of all the nudity and graphic scenes while adding more blood and perhaps a few bigger explosions instead. Just kidding. Even with a respected director like David Fincher on board, it will never be remade in the same highest caliber as the Swedish version.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

May 21, 2010 3:20 pm

I think Hollywood would ruin it, to be honest with you. I saw the original with subtitles, and the movie had a limited release in some Canadian theatres recently. I'm not sure if that increases or decreases the likelihood of a Hollywood version. (Would they release the original in North America if they planned a remake?) I'm afraid that Hollywood might tone the movie down (both in violence and in content) to suit the American audience. On the other hand, they could also increase the violence levels, taking away from the story and character development. I think the original movie took pride in it's character development. Movies nowadays seem to be all about explosions, and it's very rare we get a good mystery movie. (Sherlock Holmes was quite good, in my opinion).
For those of you who haven't seen the movie, an English version comes out early July in North America, so you could easily get it on Amazon. If you can't wait, or would rather not hear English voice overs, you can easily find the movie streaming online with a quick Google search.
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 22, 2010 4:41 am

First, I want to point out that I think Ellen can definitely pull off any role on this planet given to her
Sadly, I have to disagree. Boy, that might get me lynched around these parts, but I'm gonna be brave and say it. I think Ellen is extremely talented and gifted. She's one of my favorite actresses, and I admire her for both her talent and charitable works. That said, I do think she has limitations as an actress. Her recent performance in 'Peacock' was my least favorite, and the "flattest" performance I've seen her give - and I've seen most of her early work as well. Her early work in 'Love that Boy' and 'Touch and Go' were much better, imo. That scene in 'Peacock' when she's crying and having that conversation with "Emma" and saying how bad things are didn't evoke sympathy from me inasmuch as unintended chuckles. I thought it was rather risible. However, I'm willing to admit that's probably not really her fault as that the script was very, very weak, and that she was obviously doing the best she could with an underdeveloped character. Maggie wasn't a well developed character in and of herself inasmuch as that she was a plot device.
I'm not sure if the audience would be able to connect to such a complex character if a very young looking actress is playing the part. Considering all the actors suggested by the press so far, my personal choice would be either Carey Mulligan ("An Education"), Natalie Portman ("V for Vendetta"), Keira Knightley ("Domino") or Anne Hathaway ("Havoc"). On the other side many people are cheering for Ellen due to her performances in "Hard Candy" and "The Tracey Fragments" (which is quite understandable) as you see in the comments on the articles.
If Ellen doesn't get the role, then I'd like to see Carey Mulligan or Anne Hathaway take it. But to your point about if the audience would take to it if a very young actress were to take the part...well, this is were I think Ellen's very youthful good looks and small frame work against her. She's not as curvaceous as these other actresses listed here, nor as mature looking, and as a result, she might not get the part because the studio and/or the producers would deem her to young looking for the role. I believe that in the 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo', there are some fairly graphic sex scenes between Lisabeth Salander (the heroine of the movie) and an older man. Therefore, due to her small frame and very youthful appearance, the producers may feel that it would be inappropriate to the look and feel of the scene. The tone of it would be wrong, and may unintentionally end up coming across as statuory rape (i.e. middle aged man shagging and taking advantage of a pretty young teenager). Granted, Fincher doesn't necessarily have to film those scenes or be graphic about it, but I think if he were to omit them, then's he neutering the movie.
However, the major question remains: Is it really necessary to make an American remake of very recent film? What could the Americans do differently? Okay, they might get rid of all the nudity and graphic scenes while adding more blood and perhaps a few bigger explosions instead. Just kidding. Even with a respected director like David Fincher on board, it will never be remade in the same highest caliber as the Swedish version.
It may not be necessary, but if you get big name hollywood stars and a hot shot director, it will likely be profitable! :greedy:

I can see the americanization of this movie, and I too foresee them toning down the sexuality and upping the violence. That's just how american audiences and studios seem to roll.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 22, 2010 5:21 am

Sadly, I have to disagree. Boy, that might get me lynched around these parts, but I'm gonna be brave and say it. I think Ellen is extremely talented and gifted. She's one of my favorite actresses, and I admire her for both her talent and charitable works. That said, I do think she has limitations as an actress. Her recent performance in 'Peacock' was my least favorite, and the "flattest" performance I've seen her give - and I've seen most of her early work as well. Her early work in 'Love that Boy' and 'Touch and Go' were much better, imo. That scene in 'Peacock' when she's crying and having that conversation with "Emma" and saying how bad things are didn't evoke sympathy from me inasmuch as unintended chuckles. I thought it was rather risible. However, I'm willing to admit that's probably not really her fault as that the script was very, very weak, and that she was obviously doing the best she could with an underdeveloped character. Maggie wasn't a well developed character in and of herself inasmuch as that she was a plot device.
As conflicted as I am saying it, I have to agree with you about Ellen's performance in the scene you mentioned. After watching it I kept wanting to say "OK, cut - Ellen can we try that again ....." I think the director's truth detection may have been off.

I honestly know nothing about "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" but if Ellen wants to do it she must be excited by it and think she can pull it off.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 23, 2010 1:28 am

Not too familiar with "...Dragon Tattoo" although I think it is playing at a theatre near where I live. Personally I think Ellen can play any role she wants to ( I guess I am a Homer....or wahtever :biggrin: )....but I bet they will go with an older actress for the role.

As for Peacock, I think Ellen did about as good as you can with the film. The script was really not the problem.....the production seemed lacking....and the supporting cast was "meh"....just there for the paycheck. Bummer that it wasted a really great performance from Cillian Murphy (who will win an Oscar someday for the right role in the right film)

Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 23, 2010 2:24 am

As conflicted as I am saying it, I have to agree with you about Ellen's performance in the scene you mentioned. After watching it I kept wanting to say "OK, cut - Ellen can we try that again ....." I think the director's truth detection may have been off.
Yup. I think the scene doesn't work because you can "see" the acting. Ellen is acting her little heart out, and it shows - in a bad way. She normally gives such naturalistic performances that people (generally her detractors) confuse her with the character she's playing, citing that she only "plays herself" in movies. Here, in this scene, I can see the strain and the effort she's giving, trying to emote. It doesn't ring true to me, and takes me out of the movie.
As for Peacock, I think Ellen did about as good as you can with the film. The script was really not the problem.....the production seemed lacking....and the supporting cast was "meh"....just there for the paycheck. Bummer that it wasted a really great performance from Cillian Murphy (who will win an Oscar someday for the right role in the right film)
I respectfully disagree. The script is the problem, with gaps in logic, and is poorly written. There are some very good ideas here, but they are poorly executed, and I get the sense that if the director/writer had more experience, and if he had tackled it and rewritten it in 5-10 years time, the end product would have been much, much better. The supporting cast is actually pretty good - Susan Sarandon, Bill Pullman, Josh Lucas...etc. These are experienced actors, each with an impressive body of work behind them. How this movie got such a great cast and then wasted virtually every actor is as great a mystery as can be. This goes into my "great cast, but movie still sucked" category. After having viewed it, I'm actually not surprised that this film never found a distributor and had to go direct to dvd.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 21, 2010 6:50 pm

A lot of blogs are speculating on who will play Lisbeth again - since Sony recently set a December 21, 2011 release date for the film.

If you want to cast a vote for Ellen go to "Locating Lisbeth: The Casting Of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'" on the NPR movie site: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2010 ... gon-tattoo
I wonder how many more of these "polls" will spring up :yellowink:

Joro
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jul 22, 2010 12:34 am

Sounds interesting! I hope she gets the role.
It's not that I don't try being polite, it's just that I fail most of the time.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jul 22, 2010 12:29 pm

According to indieWIRE Ellen is out of the race for the role :rolleye:
Girl With Dragon Tattoo: Final Five for Lisbeth Salander

Forget those other names for the much sought-after American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Sony, producer Scott Rudin and director David Fincher are zeroing in on who will play bisexual hacker Lisbeth Salander. They are screen-testing five young up-and-comers, all relative unknowns.

The final five Sony tested this week for Salander include three Australian actresses, one American and one French (unidentified). The Aussies are:Emily Browning, who stars in Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch (here’s an interview on The Uninvited); Sophie Lowe (interview); and Sarah Snook (interview).

The American is The Social Network star Rooney Mara (interview, trailer below).

And Daniel Craig, who is the studio’s first choice to play muckraking journalist Mikael Blomkvist, could fall out if the studio can’t live with his availability issues. If The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo does well enough to spur two swift back-to-back sequels, Craig might not be available for quick shoots on The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest. Both James Bond and Cowboys & Aliens can demand his services whenever they want him.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 26, 2010 8:54 am

Dominik wrote:According to indieWIRE Ellen is out of the race for the role :rolleye:
Girl With Dragon Tattoo: Final Five for Lisbeth Salander

Forget those other names for the much sought-after American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Sony, producer Scott Rudin and director David Fincher are zeroing in on who will play bisexual hacker Lisbeth Salander. They are screen-testing five young up-and-comers, all relative unknowns.

The final five Sony tested this week for Salander include three Australian actresses, one American and one French (unidentified). The Aussies are:Emily Browning, who stars in Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch (here’s an interview on The Uninvited); Sophie Lowe (interview); and Sarah Snook (interview).

The American is The Social Network star Rooney Mara (interview, trailer below).

And Daniel Craig, who is the studio’s first choice to play muckraking journalist Mikael Blomkvist, could fall out if the studio can’t live with his availability issues. If The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo does well enough to spur two swift back-to-back sequels, Craig might not be available for quick shoots on The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest. Both James Bond and Cowboys & Aliens can demand his services whenever they want him.
And so any interest I had in waiting to see the Hollywood version has faded. Heard the Swedish version is good though, I'll check it out now that there's no chance of Ellen getting involved in an English version.

The upside, she won't play a bisexual character and have to deal with God knows how many idiots speculating how her acting roles are related to the actual Ellen :rolleye: . Well I don't think she'd care, but it annoys me :longtongue: .

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Deadline New York still has Ellen in the running and now confirms Daniel Craig:
http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/daniel- ... on-tattoo/
Daniel Craig has closed his deal to play journalist Mikael Blomkvist in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, a deal which factors in options for two sequels based on The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest. The novels comprise the bestselling trilogy by late Stieg Larsson.
Sony Pictures Entertainment, director David Fincher and producer Scott Rudin are in the middle of casting the young actress who'll play the juicy role of Lisbeth Salander. Deadline previously released those candidates include Ellen Page, Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland), Emily Browning (Sucker Punch), Sara Snook (Sleeping Beauty), Rooney Mara (The Social Network) and Sophie Lowe (Blame).

funkenderstadt
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jul 27, 2010 12:20 am

What curiously post... I must say what i dont understand nothing... But i think i can resume all of your words, in money... always is the money...
But no problem, sure what its a wrong resume... I can recommend you the book of Michael Crichton "his experiences"... There you can found a lot of surprises about holliwood...

I mean of course , at the money what a lot of people can win if Ellen make this... I dont mean you ... sorry if you dont understand me... Michael Crichton , "his experiences" , there are a lot of your answers about holliwood... Regards...

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 27, 2010 7:20 am

My money is on Tilda...er Nikki Finke and her Deadline site. :D I wanna see her go Toldja! when Ellen gets the role....I hope

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jul 29, 2010 10:39 am

I think the latest reports are extremely confusing. Every day they had some new names on their lists, but it looks like the final four are Rooney Mara, Léa Seydoux, Sarah Snook and Sophie Lowe. However, according to The Playlist, Ellen was told to "keep working on her Swedish accent" during the casting process. To me this sounds like she is still in the race, but certainly not the first choice.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jul 30, 2010 12:18 pm

I would love to see Ellen in this, 'cos she would rock, but a Swedish accent? I realise that she could probably pull it off but when has she ever done an accent? Even in Whip It, set in Texas, she sounded the same as usual. I'm not complaining, I just don't think it's a good idea.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 31, 2010 2:35 am

Latest from Deadline New York by MIKE FLEMING | Friday July 30, 2010 @ 8:25pm EDT:
http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/fincher ... more-58455
EXCLUSIVE: Is it an exaggeration to say not since Gone with the Wind has the actress casting search for a studio film captured such attention? The decision on who'll play Lisbeth Salander in Sony Pictures Entertainment's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo continues. Director David Fincher tested actresses this week and will hold another testing this Sunday. I've heard that Fincher will test as many as six actresses this time, and the stakes have been raised. Daniel Craig will read alongside the aspirants, and each of them will get the full hair, makeup, wardrobe, and piercings treatment, which wasn't done in the earlier tests. This should give Fincher a sense of who is the best match to play the rogue computer hacking genius -- one of the most complex roles to come along for a young actress in a very long time.

Right now the actresses who are being seriously considered may still include Inception's Ellen Page, Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland), Emily Browning (Sucker Punch), Sarah Snook (Sleeping Beauty), Rooney Mara (The Social Network), Sophie Lowe (Blame) and now French actress Lea Seydoux. Browning and Wasikowska didn't make test deals, while Page sent in her own. Fish Tank discovery Katie Jarvis is a late entry but she isn't testing Sunday.

Sony Pictures will release the first filmed installment of Stieg Larsson's bestselling trilogy of books on December 21, 2011, and will begin production in early fall. Steve Zaillian wrote the script and Scott Rudin is producing. Rudin and Fincher just collaborated on The Social Network.
Last edited by JimH on Jul 31, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Article updated

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jul 31, 2010 2:13 pm

Just about to post that myself. Interesting that Ellen's still being considered, I hope she gets the part but I really doubt it. :disappointed:
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.