Into The Forest - News thread

Film adaptation of Jean Hegland's apocalyptic novel

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Dominik » Oct 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Ellen Page Attached to Star in Adaptation of Low-Key Apocalypse Novel Into The Forest
by Brendan Bettinger | Posted: January 9th, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Right now, Ellen Page is likely preparing for a big Sundance, as she has Touchy Feely and The East set to premiere at the festival later this month. Meanwhile, another interesting project has surfaced on her horizon: Variety’s Jeff Sneider tweeted that Page is attached to Into the Forest, an adaptation of the novel by Jean Hegland. Into the Forest is a post-apocalyptic story, but on a smaller scale than “post-apocalyptic” usually connotes. Two teenage sisters live alone in a remote part of the Northern California forest, miles away from any neighbor, when society unexpectedly collapses: “There is talk of a war overseas and upheaval in Congress, but it still comes as a shock when the electricity runs out and gas is nowhere to be found.” The sisters are left to hope the power eventually returns as their supplies dwindle.

It’s too bad that Page, almost 26, is still playing teenagers. (They could age the character up, but it seems crucial that two teenagers live alone.) But the intimate premise sounds worth the effort, adding another layer to the post-apocalyptic stories that I love so much. Read the book synopsis after the break.
Set in the near-future, Into the Forest is a powerfully imagined novel that focuses on the relationship between two teenage sisters living alone in their Northern California forest home.

Over 30 miles from the nearest town, and several miles away from their nearest neighbor, Nell and Eva struggle to survive as society begins to decay and collapse around them. No single event precedes society’s fall. There is talk of a war overseas and upheaval in Congress, but it still comes as a shock when the electricity runs out and gas is nowhere to be found. The sisters consume the resources left in the house, waiting for the power to return. Their arrival into adulthood, however, forces them to reexamine their place in the world and their relationship to the land and each other. [Amazon]
Source: collider.com
-- Oct 21, 2013 10:36 pm --

Casting update
Ellen Page, Evan Rachel Wood Head 'Into the Forest'
11:15 AM PDT 10/21/2013 by Rebecca Ford
Patricia Rozema will direct the pic based on Jean Hegland’s novel of the same name.

Ellen Page and Evan Rachel Wood will play sisters in the film Into the Forest, an adaptation of Jean Hegland’s novel of the same name.

Patricia Rozema will direct the pic, which follows two sisters as they struggle to survive after the collapse of society in a not-too-distant future.

Page is also producing, along with Kelly Bush Novak and Sriram Das. Haroon (Boon) Saleem will executive producer and Kristina Sorensen as associate producer.

Page, who recently wrapped shooting the X-Men: Days of Future Past, was recently attached to Fox’s Queen and Country. She's repped by WME, Barnes Morris Klein Mark and Yorn, and Vie Entertainment.

Wood, who recently finished filming Andrew Fleming’s Barefoot, will next be seen in Charlie Countryman opposite Shia LaBeouf and in A Case of You opposite Justin Long. She's repped by CAA.

Rozema’s credits include 1999's Mansfield Park and 1995's When Night is Falling. She's represented by CAA.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Leon123
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Post by Leon123 » Oct 22, 2013 11:23 am

Is a release window known?
Not Today!

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Dominik » Nov 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Leon123 wrote:Is a release window known?
No, but since not many actors will be required for this indie-project, I expect production to start in the next few months. A premiere in the second half of 2014 (at the next TIFF for example) is absolutely thinkable.

-- Nov 18, 2013 2:29 pm --

Update - 11/18/2013

Actress Evan Rachel Wood has stated in a recent interview with "We Got This Covered" that filming will start next year. She also confirmed that her character will be the girl who does ballet - as I've assumed it in the latest news article.

SinnerAlbion
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Post by SinnerAlbion » Nov 18, 2013 6:00 pm

For some reason, I find it difficult to imagine Ellen as a ballet dancer, haha.
If we don't all pull together, then stop the world, I wanna get off...

Leon123
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Post by Leon123 » Nov 18, 2013 10:03 pm

SinnerAlbion wrote:For some reason, I find it difficult to imagine Ellen as a ballet dancer, haha.
No need for it, she will be playing the sister that isn't dancing. :)
Last edited by Leon123 on Nov 19, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not Today!

WhiteGlint
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Post by WhiteGlint » Nov 19, 2013 12:06 am

Leon123 wrote:
SinnerAlbion wrote:For some reason, I find it difficult to imagine Ellen as a ballet dancer, haha.
No need for it, she will be playing the sister they isn't dancing. :)
Well, you never know. Could you imagine Gerard Butler singing The Phantom of the Opera? :D

I haven't read the book, but it sounds like this could be a movie with a dense atmosphere. Alone in the forest, far away from other persons, running out of supplies and no one knows what is going on.
Who'll stop the rain?

SinnerAlbion
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Post by SinnerAlbion » Nov 19, 2013 12:26 am

Leon123 wrote:
No need for it, she will be playing the sister they isn't dancing. :)
Yeah, I know, and I think it suits her better. :) It's just that I can't really picture Ellen dancing ballet, haha. However, I believe she would be great playing the dancer one as well, as she always is. :D
WhiteGlint wrote:I haven't read the book, but it sounds like this could be a movie with a dense atmosphere. Alone in the forest, far away from other persons, running out of supplies and no one knows what is going on.
Yes, it could. I hope it turns out to be a great movie. I trust Ellen to do her part. I wish her luck as a producer as well. :totalhappy:
If we don't all pull together, then stop the world, I wanna get off...

WhiteGlint
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Post by WhiteGlint » Dec 04, 2013 1:11 am

Finished the novel yesterday. It is not exactly what I thought it would be, but it really enjoyed reading it.
It is the first time I read the book before I've seen the movie adaption. Let's see how it turns out.

Are there any news on the rest of the cast? I wonder who will play the father of Eva and Nell.
Who'll stop the rain?

Jessevolanti1976
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Post by Jessevolanti1976 » Feb 06, 2014 11:44 am

I here there going to start filming in April on Vancouver island 2014. Canada n Hollywood should really caliberate to help support Canada's economy. ✌
Everyday is a new day - we can change our past - look forward to a better tomorrow ✌

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Dominik » Aug 28, 2014 8:56 am

Ellen Page, Evan Rachel Wood in B.C. for "Into The Forest"
by John R. Kennedy, published on July 7, 2014 - 12:11 pm

Ellen Page and Evan Rachel Wood are set to begin work in B.C. on the feature adaptation of Jean Hegland’s acclaimed novel Into The Forest.

The movie, written and directed by Ontario’s Patricia Rozema (When Night is Falling), is scheduled to shoot from July 28 to Aug. 23 on Vancouver Island.

Into The Forest follows teen sisters Eva and Nell in the not-so-distant future as they forage through the forest that surrounds their rural home following the collapse of society.

Page, a native of Nova Scotia, is one of the producers of the Canadian film.

Last summer, the 27-year-old filmed X-Men: Days of Future Past in Montreal.

Page publicly came out as gay in February.

Wood, whose marriage to actor Jamie Bell ended in May after less than two years, came out as bisexual in 2011.

The 26-year-old’s films include 2011′s The Ides of March and 2008′s The Wrestler.

Source: globalnews.ca
-- Aug 28, 2014 7:56 am --

Here is the first official still from the movie. Apparently, some selected scenes will be shown at the upcoming film festival in Toronto.

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Post by plexus » Aug 28, 2014 12:47 pm

Aside from Ellen looking gorgeous (as always), I wonder about the contents of the trunk.
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Post by bluetoes591 » Aug 29, 2014 6:31 am

Fuel, candles, cans of food makes sense. Maybe the salt is for preserving fresh food?
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Dominik » Mar 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Buyers go Into the Forest with Ellen Page
EXCLUSIVE: Canadian, European deals for drama being teased in Toronto.
4 September, 2014 | By Andreas Wiseman

Futuristic drama Into the Forest, starring and produced by Ellen Page, has sold to Latin America (Black Castle Group), Greece (Odeon) and Turkey (Calinos) for Celsius Entertainment.

Elevation Entertainment snapped up Canadian rights from the film’s producers prior to shoot.

Page stars alongside Evan Rachel Wood, Callum Keith Rennie and Max Minghella in writer-director Patrizia Rozema’s (Mansfield Park) drama set in the not-to-distant future about two sisters who must rely on one another as society crumbles around them and their forest home.

The film recently wrapped on Vancouver Island.

Canada’s Rhombus Media and Bron Studios produce, in association with Creative Wealth Media Finance and participation from Telefilm Canada.

Producers are Niv Fichman, Page, and Aaron L. Gilbert and executive producers are Sriram Das, Haroon Saleem, Steven Shapiro, Kelly Bush Novak, and Jason Cloth.

Celsius will screen selected scenes at Toronto. WME handles US.

[...]

Source: http://www.screendaily.com
-- UPDATE Mar 06, 2015 12:01 pm --

The latest news is that the movie will premiere in September at the TIFF 2015.