Sounds good. Thanks Dominic

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jan 11, 2012 10:26 am

Creators.com - Hollywood Exclusive
by Marilyn Beck & Stacy Jenel Smith

THE BIG-SCREEN SCENE: "Leverage" actor Aldis Hodge took a busman's holiday during his seasonal hiatus, taking on a big-screen role in "The East" with Ellen Page, Brit Marling, Alexander Skarsgard and Patricia Clarkson.

The story, written by Marling and director Zal Batmanglij, has Marling playing an undercover agent working for a firm that contracts to protect big corporations from radical environmentalists and anti-business extremists. However, she finds herself falling for the leader of an eco-anarchist group (played by Skarsgard) known as The East. Page is his jealous ex-lover.

Hodge plays an ex-military man who has been affected by the poisoned water dumped near his town when he was a child, which is "really what brings him into getting involved," Hodge says of his character. "He's very different from my character on the series, but sort of akin to him because they do some of the same things."

Hodge was thrilled with his cast mates. He finds, "Once you're in the company of good actors, there's some feeling of security regardless of what goes wrong — because something always goes wrong." He laughs. "At least you know the performances will be great. And the script was great."

The Fox Searchlight thriller, produced by Ridley and Tony Scott's company, is due out later this year.

Source: www.creators.com
Variety honors Charlize Theron
Indie Impact, 10 Directors to Watch brunch took place Sunday
By Pat Saperstein | Posted: Tue., Jan. 10, 2012, 4:00am PT

Variety's Indie Impact and 10 Directors to Watch 2012 brunch presented by Mercedes-Benz unspooled under vivid blue desert skies Sunday at the Parker Hotel in Palm Springs.

Honoree Charlize Theron said, "I have the career I have today because of independent films," crediting "Monster" helmer Patty Jenkins with seeing her potential. All the directors she's worked with deserve credit, she concluded, "even the bad ones."

Variety's Steven Gaydos introduced the 10 helmers to watch, saying, "What they have in common is a commitment to indie cinema -- even when they make a studio film, it feels independent."

Among the directors at the relaxed event were Mexican helmer Gerardo Naranjo, who said he's almost hoping "Miss Bala" doesn't get Oscar nommed so he can get off the campaign trail and back to work. "Sound of My Voice" helmer Zal Batmanglij said his next film, "The East," will also feature "Voice" star Brit Marling, this time in a story about a woman who infiltrates an anarchist group.

Also brunching on the Parker lawn were Palm Springs Film Fest director Darryl Macdonald, fest chairman Harold Matzner and artistic director Helen du Toit, as well as thesps Shailene Woodley, Robert Forster and Ed Lauter.

Source: www.variety.com
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

venusice
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jan 12, 2012 3:10 am

I don't think it's impossible for those articles to say less about this movie :sassy:

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Feb 06, 2012 11:28 pm

Just a quick quote by actress Patricia Clarkson:
[...]

Pick and choose, Clarkson has and continues to do, but she does it so wisely that she’s one of the busiest and in-demand actresses at the age of 52—a point in her life of which she speaks of proudly and wears tremendously well. Her recent movies include Easy A and Friends with Benefits and she’s just recently finished shooting The East with Alexander Skarsgärd and Ellen Page in Shreveport. “I play a CEO, which is very good for me… a very powerful, very strong woman and I run a company… it’s a very tough character,” said Clarkson. “She’s a woman who pulls no punches and is very glamorous so it was an exciting time.”

[...]

Source: www.livingneworleans.com

venusice
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Feb 29, 2012 11:25 pm

I was watching all these awards in the past few weeks. I think I saw that Brit Marling got a nomination for the screenplay for Another Earth at the Independent Spirit awards.

What are the chances that we'll be seeing Ellen at these award ceremonies next year for her role in this film? I really hope she gets some recognition. This film seems like it will get a showing around festival season.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Mar 28, 2012 8:27 am

Tobey Kebbell Reveals Details on Alexander Skarsgard, Ellen Page-Led 'The East'
By Matt Patches , Hollywood.com Staff | Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Director Zal Batmanglij's Sound of My Voice is only now making its way to theaters (the intimate, cult thriller opens April 27), but the film wowed audiences at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, so much so, that Batmanglij quickly assembled a stellar cast for his next film, and shot it all before his debut even hit theaters. The East stars Alexander Skarsgård, Ellen Page, Julia Ormond, Patricia Clarkson, Toby Kebbell and breakout starlet Brit Marling (who wrote and starred in Sound of My Voice, and while Batmanglij's follow-up sports a high profile line-up, plot details have been kept carefully under wraps.

But with The East in the can, snippets of information are finally starting to be revealed. While walking the red carpet at the Wrath of the Titans premiere, Toby Kebbell (War Horse) spilled some details to me on The East. What's this sizable cast up to in the film?

"We're activists, more so eco-warriors. Whats happened is…I play a doctor, who, when he was an AIDS worker in Africa, he prescribed his sister and himself an anti-malaria drug that we call Denoxin. And Denoxin had a side effect on his sister, a syndrome called prosopagnosia, which is a condition where you forget your own face in the mirror, generally associated with head trauma, or genetic is what they thought. As it turns out, it's actually a side effect of some of these drugs. So my journey is that I'm trying to give the drug company their drug to take, seeing as it's so safe."

WIth such a large cast, one would expect Kebbell to spend a majority of his time with a particular actor, but not so. "It's an ensemble and it's perfect. I share my scenes with everyone." And while he praised the cast, working with two of his co-stars did cause a little pain. "It's like having a very stiff neck. You're staring up at Skarsgård or looking down at Ellen Page, it's very weird."

Kebbell revealed that, in comparison to the nearly one-location Sound of My Voice, The East opens up the scope—but that his character may not see too much of the fight. "There's some action. It's a big world. But my character doesn't have any action, he has snapped tendons in his knees. He can't walk very quickly. But there are some panic moments, some calm moments. It's a beautiful journey."

The East does not have a set release date, but the name cast should help this one land in theaters in the near future.

Source: www.hollywood.com

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Mar 29, 2012 8:20 am

Hmm...unlike the movie that changes names every three weeks, this one is starting to intrigue me. Image
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

mwilson223

Mar 30, 2012 2:18 am

For those who read the script, I found this picture on tumblr that had the cast and their characters names. For Ellen, it said her name was Isadora "Izzy" Duncan/Kate Cannon. Can anyone explain this? And is Izzy really short for Isadora?

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Mar 30, 2012 9:45 am

mwilson223 wrote:For those who read the script, I found this picture on tumblr that had the cast and their characters names. For Ellen, it said her name was Isadora "Izzy" Duncan/Kate Cannon. Can anyone explain this? And is Izzy really short for Isadora?
Although you didn't post the pic, I'm pretty sure I know which one you are talking about. Well, that's a screenshot taken from this website since I'm the only one who posted this information yet. Izzy is indeed the short for Isadora; it's at least her name within The East group used in the script while Kate Cannon is her real civil name.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 02, 2012 5:47 am

Dominik wrote:
mwilson223 wrote:For those who read the script, I found this picture on tumblr that had the cast and their characters names. For Ellen, it said her name was Isadora "Izzy" Duncan/Kate Cannon. Can anyone explain this? And is Izzy really short for Isadora?
Although you didn't post the pic, I'm pretty sure I know which one you are talking about. Well, that's a screenshot taken from this website since I'm the only one who posted this information yet. Izzy is indeed the short for Isadora; it's at least her name within The East group used in the script while Kate Cannon is her real civil name.
Wonder if Ellen's character also "dances"....because Isadora Duncan was a famous American dancer....probably the first US dancer to earn any worldwide acclaim (late 19th C-early 20th C).

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Apr 23, 2012 2:10 pm

-- Apr 02, 2012 9:25 am --
UCFRdWarrior wrote:Wonder if Ellen's character also "dances"....because Isadora Duncan was a famous American dancer....probably the first US dancer to earn any worldwide acclaim (late 19th C-early 20th C).
There's actually a dancing/celebration scene in the script, but as far as I remember Ellen's character is not explicitly mentioned here. :yellowhappy:
[Update] Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm
Some new information on "The East" (starting at 13:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA0sD5m4SoU

XeXe
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 23, 2012 2:59 pm

An awesome interview! Thanks, Dominik :)
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station... What more can I say...

venusice
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 24, 2012 4:57 am

I would really like to see Ellen and Brit interviewed together. I wonder if they're friends after making the film together. I hope so they have very similar sensibilities. :)

jengabees

May 08, 2012 1:35 pm

There will be a test screening of this on Thursday in LA, so hopefully more info will come out soon.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 29, 2012 10:46 pm

May 09, 2012 7:12 am
jengabees wrote:There will be a test screening of this on Thursday in LA, so hopefully more info will come out soon.
Thank you for the hint. :thumbup:

May 12, 2012 12:07 pm
Here's a more detailed plot description:
Sarah (Brit Marling) is an agent for a ruthless security firm who is tasked with infiltrating a mysterious, anti-corporate organization called "The East". She manages to integrate herself into The East, despite the opposition of Izzy (Ellen Page), the most outspoken and unpredictable anarchist in the group. Sarah finds herself torn between two worlds when she becomes drawn to the group's charismatic leader, Benji (Alexander Skarsgard), and finds her life and priorities irrevocably changed.
May 29, 2012 9:41 pm
Bullet Media Interview - Alexander Skarsgård: The Sea Inside
by Idil Tabanca | May 29th, 2012

[...]
According to breakout screenwriter Brit Marling, the actor was constantly cracking jokes on the set of director Zal Batmanglij’s upcoming eco-thriller The East, starring Marling and Ellen Page. Skarsgård can’t hide his fascination with Marling, who recently co-wrote and starred in Another Earth, and has been pumping out some of the most original screenplays in the industry. The East stars Skarsgård as Benji, the strong- headed leader of a radical environmentalist collective that Marling’s character infiltrates. Marling’s search for the key part took an unexpected turn when she saw True Blood. “I remember thinking that the show was so fantastical, and yet he made me believe it,” she says. “He believes, therefore the audience believes—you find yourself willing to accept these completely preposterous things.” She wanted to cast a person who would “make you walk away from your desk job and go into the forest with them to start an insurrection.” Needless to say, it’s a hard role to pull off. “Alex was so ‘it’ from the beginning because he has this gravitas, this deep well of soulfulness and feeling. You would follow him into the woods.” On the second day of shooting, the cast was naked in frigid water, bathing one another for a scene. “When something like that happens on the second day, it cuts through all the insecurities and everyone gets really close, very quickly. The experience was so raw and intense.”
[...]
Source: http://www.bullettmedia.com

Chocoburger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 23, 2012 10:05 am

The movie got rated PG-13 in America. Something I did not expect since everyone made it sound like it was a very dark movie filled with nudity. Though some nudity is still in the movie.
Rated PG-13 for thematic elements, violence, some disturbing images, sexual content and partial nudity
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1869716/parentalguide

I'm guessing that either
A) The later version of the script got toned down, and the earlier draft of the 'leaked script' had more adult content in it.
B) They decided to tone it down in editing afterwards to broaden the potential audience. PG-13 movies make more money than R rated movies.