Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Sep 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Ellen Page infiltrates 'The East'
Joins Brit Marling, Alexander Skarsgard in Fox Searchlight thriller
By Jeff Sneider, posted: Thursday, Sep. 29, 2011, 11:40am PT

Fox Searchlight is back in business with "Juno" star Ellen Page, who's in final talks to join Brit Marling and Alexander Skarsgard in Zal Batmanglij's thriller "The East."

Ridley and Tony Scott's Scott Free Prods. banner is producing the pic, which was written by Marling and Batmanglij.

Story concerns a private contracting firm tasked with protecting big corporations from radical environmentalists and anti-business extremists that assigns its best and brightest agent to infiltrate a mysterious anarchist organization known only as 'The East.'

Marling stars as the undercover agent, who finds herself falling for the leader of The East, who will be played by Skarsgard. Page will play Izzy, a member of The East who used to be Skarsgard's lover and is now jealous of the attention he pays Marling's character.

Felicity Jones was originally attached to play Izzy but press commitments for "Like Crazy" forced her to drop out of the project, which is being produced by Ben Howe, Michael Costigan, Jocelyn Hayes Simpson and Maresa Pullman.

While Marling and Skarsgard are fast-rising young actors, Page gives "The East" its first proven star. Oscar-nominated thesp spent the summer shooting Woody Allen's "Bop Decameron" with Jesse Eisenberg, Alec Baldwin and Greta Gerwig. She most recently starred in James Gunn's "Super" and Christopher Nolan's "Inception," which grossed $825 million worldwide.

Page is repped by WME and attorney Kevin Yorn.
Source: www.variety.com
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks for the update, the premise of the project sounds very interesting. I saw from another article that shooting will begin soon, so perhaps we will see at least two new films for Ellen coming out in 2012!

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Sep 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Oh cool. Great news. :)
Ellen as an environmental activist. Mhhh, sounds familiar.
Okay, she's not exactly radical or an anarchistic extremist in real life, but it fits her attitude in some way ;)
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 01, 2011 1:43 am

Congrats to Ellen on the role. And yes it would be nice to have two Ellen films in 2012 :) Things are a little slow round here with no new Ellen films

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Oct 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Based on the connection to 'Another Earth' I can see the vague tone of where this might go and it sound intriguing. Can't wait to see the finished product.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

jsmith11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Oct 04, 2011 10:59 pm

This project sounds exciting... my type of movie.

young British actor Toby Kebbell joins cast. I have seen him in Rock N Rolla and was very impressed. Looks they are rounding out a great young cast for this one.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/21977/ ... r-the-east

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Here is a brief excerpt from a review of an early draft of the script (March 15, 2010) taken from another website; I've removed some sections to avoid major spoilers:
Everything about The East is predictably weird and the members are all under mind control by a charming [decidedly less dangerous] Charles Manson-like leader named Benji.
[...]
She (Sarah / the agent) must navigate the peculiar dynamics of the group to monitor their upcoming marks, and then report back to the agency, who for some reason she’s still able to visit whenever she wants (I guess she can just come and go as she pleases?).
[...]
Whenever you write an infiltration movie, they are certain mainstays you want to explore. The biggest one is you want your character to be torn. The more that the main character sees the other side's point of view, the harder her choice becomes. That inner struggle leads to tension and that tension leads to drama, the lifeblood of any screenplay. This is what you see in Avatar for example. Jake Sulley is torn between what the humans stand for and what the Na’vi stand for. I didn't think The East explored this enough. Sarah never sides with what these guys are doing so there was never a dilemma.
[...]
Just the fact that our character could get caught at any moment created a good deal of drama. But because the cult weren’t killers - just advanced hoaxers - you always felt that if she did get caught, she'd simply be abandoned at the nearest town. Lack of true danger = lack of true drama.
[...]
The screenplay also suffered from MSS (Murky Story Syndrome). This is when the story isn't laid out clearly for the reader - a huge problem in most amateur screenplays I read. I had a hard time figuring out, for example, who the agency was doing this job for and why doing it for them was so important.
[...]
There were some things to like. As I said in the beginning, it didn't feel like anything I'd read before. I was never quite sure where the script was going.
[...]
Despite some original twists and turns, the story was too soft for me.
Just like SUPER, the movie will apparently be shot in Shreveport, Louisiana and not in Nashville, as it has been reported earlier.

jsmith11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Oct 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Just for a heads up nobody should take that review of the script very seriously. It is a very early draft of it. The script is dated March 2010.. so I am sure a lot has changed and been touched up since. With that said I actually got access to the script and it is pretty interesting read so far. :)
[Update] Update
I just want to give a spoiler free reaction. I enjoyed the script it was a very interesting read. It had an original story with some unique twists and turns. It is an early draft and I am sure some stuff will still be touched up. I honestly think Ellen has the best role in the movie. Brit Marling may be the lead but Ellen has some of the best scenes and is a more complex and original character. She has one scene in particular that her character dominates and is VERY intense. Very much looking forward to this movie. :totalhappy: Also if they stay true to the script Ellen and the other actors might have to do nude scenes.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm

After reading the script, I would like to share my thoughts as well. At first it feels like a "Mouth to Mouth 2.0". There is group of people living on their own outside the community, having their own rituals and fighting for a common cause. But "The East" seems to be far more realistic and its characters seem to be more in-depth. Ellen's character Izzy has, without a doubt, an important role in the story, although she probably won't have as much screen time as Marling's Sarah or Skarsgard's Benji. She is the right hand of the leader, and the one in the group who tries to push the limits and does everything to reach the intended goals. In the course of the story we learn more about her motives and why she does what she does, which makes it easier for the audience to connect with her.

I don't want to go out on a limb too far here, but I think this role will take her career to a new level. People will talk about the movie, because it catches the spirit of the times and the whole scenario feels very honest and "organic" (to use one of Ellen's favorite expressions), as well as about Ellen's performance. Like mentioned by jsmith, there is a pretty intensive scene towards the end where Ellen can (and will) show her full acting range. You may also like to know it will be the first time that she plays a character older than herself (27).

*SPOILERS AHEAD*
► Show Spoiler

kat19
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Oct 19, 2011 8:11 am

Dominik wrote:After reading the script, I would like to share my thoughts as well. At first it feels like a "Mouth to Mouth 2.0". There is group of people living on their own outside the community, having their own rituals and fighting for a common cause. But "The East" seems to be far more realistic and its characters seem to be more in-depth. Ellen's character Izzy has, without a doubt, an important role in the story, although she probably won't have as much screen time as Marling's Sarah or Skarsgard's Benji. She is the right hand of the leader, and the one in the group who tries to push the limits and does everything to reach the intended goals. In the course of the story we learn more about her motives and why she does what she does, which makes it easier for the audience to connect with her.

I don't want to go out on a limb too far here, but I think this role will take her career to a new level. People will talk about the movie, because it catches the spirit of the times and the whole scenario feels very honest and "organic" (to use one of Ellen's favorite expressions), as well as about Ellen's performance. Like mentioned by jsmith, there is a pretty intensive scene towards the end where Ellen can (and will) show her full acting range. You may also like to know it will be the first time that she plays a character older than herself (27).

*SPOILERS AHEAD*
► Show Spoiler
That sounds really like it is going to be a very daring film. I definitely think it is time for Ellen to showcase her acting chops once again. She's wonderful in everything she does but I feel like she has not been challenging herself to her full potential with some of her recent choices. From the sound of your description it feels like this may be her grittiest film since Hard Candy. I would love to see a return to form for her.

Also, just wondering if u have a link to a website or something where I could read the script as well???...would love to skim through it.

venusice
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Oct 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Hello all! Thanks for posting the script reviews. This sounds very daring but I've been wanting her to play something intense for a while. It's exciting that it's more of an older character as well. I cannot wait to see what she brings to it. I wonder how far she will go with the physical transformation....

► Show Spoiler

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Oct 19, 2011 8:58 pm

@venusice

Again: MEGA SPOILERS AHEAD. You've been warned!
► Show Spoiler

venusice
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Oct 20, 2011 12:09 am

Thank you, Dominik.
► Show Spoiler

From what I read in the non-spoilery stuff. Sounds like she'll be an alpha female type.

benny2011

Oct 20, 2011 4:58 am

I'm new here! I'm so excited about this movie :totalhappy: can't wait for it

-- Oct 20, 2011 3:58 am --

Dominik I have another question, so is she playing the lead role in this movie or is it Brit Marling?

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Oct 20, 2011 8:41 am

benny2011 wrote:Dominik I have another question, so is she playing the lead role in this movie or is it Brit Marling?
I assume she is playing a lead role.

venusice
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Oct 20, 2011 7:26 pm

I think the story will follow Marling's character but Ellen's too big of a name to not have a pivotal role.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Oct 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Shiloh Fernandez heads 'East'
Actor joins Marling, Skarsgard in Fox Searchlight film
Posted: Thu., Oct. 27, 2011, 10:59am PT | By Justin Kroll

Shiloh Fernandez has signed on to star in Fox Searchlight pic "The East."

Brit Marling, Alexander Skarsgard and Ellen Page were already lined up to star in the film, which Zal Batmanglij will direct.

Marling and Batmanglij wrote the script, which follows an employee of a private contracting firm who goes undercover to infiltrate a mysterious anarchist org known only as the East.

Michael Costigan will produce with Jocelyn Hayes Simpson and Marling through Scott Free Prods.

Fernandez will play the free-spirited and sexually adventurous member of Skarsgard's eco-terrorism group.

While production is set to get under way soon, Batmanglij had been testing actors for months to find the perfect complement to Skarsgard and Page.

Fernandez was most recently seen in the Warner Bros. pic "Red Riding Hood" and just wrapped production on the indie "Syrup."

He is repped by CAA and Untitled.

Source: http://www.variety.com
'Leverage' Star Aldis Hodge Lands 'The East' Role
The Fox Searchlight drama also stars Ellen Page and Alexander Skarsgard.
12:48 PM PDT 10/27/2011 by Sophie Schillaci

Aldis Hodge is going East.

The Leverage actor has been tapped for a supporting role in Fox Searchlight’s The East, currently shooting in Louisiana. The eco-terrorist thriller is directed by Zal Batmanglij and centers around a contract worker who infiltrates an anarchist group, known as The East, and finds herself falling for its leader.

Hodge will play an ex-military member of the townspeople who is affiliated with the group. He is repped by Paradigm and The Priluck Company.

The film also stars Ellen Page, Alexander Skarsgard, Patricia Clarkson and Brit Marling, who co-wrote with Batmanglij. Jocelyn Hayes and Michael Costigan are producing.

Hodge can be seen as Alec Hardison when Leverage returns to TNT on Nov. 27. His previous film credits include Die Hard with a Vengeance, Bed of Roses, The Stone House, The Lady Killers and Big Momma’s House.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com

jengabees

Nov 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here. I see a lot of you have read the script already, is there anyway you could post it for those who haven't? Members only?

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 02, 2011 4:26 pm

jengabees wrote:Hi guys, I'm new here. I see a lot of you have read the script already, is there anyway you could post it for those who haven't? Members only?
I can only speak for myself, but I don't share this kind of stuff with people I don't know.

jengabees

Nov 02, 2011 8:04 pm

I understand, thanks for sharing all your thoughts anyway. :)