New Movie: Ellen Attached to the Laurel Hester Story

Feature film based on the Oscar-winning documentary

Topic author
madeincanada
Fan of Pagey
Fan of Pagey

Dec 20, 2008 3:20 am

According to this article and the audio clip within Ellen is attached to a new movie: the true life story of Laurel Hester. She is attached to play Stacie Andree, Laurel's domestic partner.

http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/20 ... story.html

In the audio clip, Cynthia Wade, the Oscar-winning director of the documentary Freeheld (a documentary on the Laurel Hestor story) notes that Ellen is attached and says that the people behind Erin Brockovich, Freedom Writers and World Trade Center are behind the project. She also says that it could be a year or more before the movie gets made.

In 2006, Laurel Hestor, after being diagnosed with lung cancer, successfully fought to extend pension benefits to her lesbian partner, Stacie Andree, in an effort to to be equal with heterosexual benefit policies.

To read more about the Laurel Hester story see the wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_Hester

indie-acoustic
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Dec 20, 2008 3:33 am

Wow! That sounds great! Love hearing the new scoop on Ellen activity! :thumbsup:

I'm not crazy about the end of the comment about rumors of Ellen's sexuality "losing its grist" :curse:

Topic author
madeincanada
Fan of Pagey
Fan of Pagey

Dec 20, 2008 3:36 am

Yeah, it's definitely an amazing story! I hear you about the off topic comments about it and her sexuality though - not needed at all! But it was the only story posted about it so I had limited linking capabilities!

Random side note: If you google Stacie Andree you can see that she has really, really short hair. Like a buzz cut almost. I wonder if Ellen would cut her hair again like in Mouth to Mouth if she does end up playing Stacie. Hmmm.

indie-acoustic
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Dec 20, 2008 3:44 am

No! It was a great link! People are going to be excited about this!

Wow, her hair is VERY short... But I'm sure Ellen would pull it off... She goes to great lengths to portray her character perfectly! :agreeing:

miKe
Ghost Cat Hero
Ghost Cat Hero

Dec 20, 2008 4:49 am

Ace! :no1: I kind of like it when Ellen does unexpected or daring roles, so i'm pretty excited about this movie.
And i missed Ellen's short hair. :longtongue:

kat19
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Dec 20, 2008 5:07 am

This is excellent....and it sounds like a very important story that needs to be told.....I'm sure Ellen is gonna do justice to the part, hmmm who could they cast as Laurel? I think Jodie Foster would be awesome.....she's quite a bit older than Ellen but who cares LOL

Topic author
madeincanada
Fan of Pagey
Fan of Pagey

Dec 20, 2008 5:25 am

kat19 wrote: who could they cast as Laurel? I think Jodie Foster would be awesome.....she's quite a bit older than Ellen but who cares LOL
Well, Laurel was 19 years older than Stacie so that is a good casting call! Whoever plays Laurel is definitely going to be a lot older than Ellen. Laurel was 49 when she died and Stacie was 30. (Also, on that note: Very interesting that Ellen would be playing a 30 year old - that will definitely silence all the people that think Ellen can only play younger, teen roles! LOL.)

kat19
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Dec 20, 2008 5:59 am

Is Cynthia Wade directing this...?

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Dec 20, 2008 8:31 am

This sounds cool, but I really hope she doesn't cut her hair. I like long-haired Ellen. :agreeing:
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."

BigBigBill
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Dec 21, 2008 1:20 am

This sounds interesting...

And yeah, no haircuts for Ellen! :confused:
When she opens her mouth, the universe comes out.

xBreathe

Dec 21, 2008 2:39 am

Haha, I agree about the no haircuts! I love Ellen's long hair :)
"I am afraid to show you who I really am,
  • because if I show you who I really am,

you might not like it and that's all I got."

Chelsea
Whip It Extra
Whip It Extra

Dec 21, 2008 9:41 am

Wow, this definitely sounds pretty interesting! It'll be great if it's done well :)
What if I wasn't Christian right now? That'd be awkward. ... Could you imagine if I was like, hm. I celebrate Ka-wanza.

It's so funny when people try to label me a cool, indie girl. No, I’m pretty sure I was in a movie called I Downloaded a Ghost.

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Dec 21, 2008 3:13 pm

This sounds like a really good role for Ellen to play. Thanks Janie :thumbsup:
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Janie comes thru again! Thanks for posting :super:

Yep, could do without the comment at the end from the website...but sounds like a real challenging role for Ellen. And, would give her a chance to perform next to an older established actress...with age differences with the characters

Ellen is gorgeous with her hair long...so I kinda hope she does not have to cut it. Either way, she is still our Ellen :) Though it could be a couple of years before this film makes the theatres....if it gets made at all.

Nipsu
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Dec 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Sounds good :agreeing: Thanks for the info!

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Dec 22, 2008 10:48 pm

madeincanada wrote:Well, Laurel was 19 years older than Stacie so that is a good casting call! Whoever plays Laurel is definitely going to be a lot older than Ellen. Laurel was 49 when she died and Stacie was 30. (Also, on that note: Very interesting that Ellen would be playing a 30 year old - that will definitely silence all the people that think Ellen can only play younger, teen roles! LOL.)
That's the point. Am I the only one who think Ellen is too young to play the partner? No offense, it sounds like an interesting project and there is nothing to say against a film adaption and full-length movie of this true story/documentary, but I don't think Ellen looks like a 30 year old. Though costume and make up can help her look a little older and her acting talents will do the rest.

Finally, Cynthia Wade said it could take one to two years to get the script and this means they will start filming in 2010-2011 at the earliest.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Dec 23, 2008 5:18 am

Dominik wrote: Am I the only one who think Ellen is too young to play the partner? No offense, it sounds like an interesting project and there is nothing to say against a film adaption and full-length movie of this true story/documentary, but I don't think Ellen looks like a 30 year old.

Nah, I agree with you. Ellen playing a young 20-something mother in Peacock is one thing (although still waiting to see how that turns out). Her playing a woman in her early 30s is a different animal. Her appearance has aged a bit recently, but she still looks pretty young for her age, and probably will for quite some time. I'm not saying she shouldn't try to tackle the role if she feels up for it, but it's going to take a lot to make her look the part. Acting the part will be no problem, but looking it would prove to be a bit of a challenge.
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

Gunnar
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Dec 23, 2008 5:32 am

Guess it will be a bit exciting how this turns out. Ellen like it's been said doesn't look 30, she has aged in appearance a lot through the last year or 2(in a _very_ good way) but 30 is pushing things a bit. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see the end product, it seems like a trend Ellen being attached to a project it can't go wrong(well okay I haven't watched I downloaded a ghost :P) so I doubt it will start doing so now.

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Dec 23, 2008 10:19 am

I don't really see why the age issue is a big deal. I mean it doesn't really sound like it's terribly relevant to the plot anyway. If anything the challenge here is to divert the viewer's attention from this with the strength of the performance, and surely there isn't a person here who doubts Ellen's ability to do this.

Oh, and as for casting for the part of Laurel, my fingers are crossed for Naomi Watts. I've been dying to see her and Ellen work together, and this looks like it might be a good opportunity.
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Dec 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Naomi Watts would be good indeed. Same age difference as well.
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."