New Movie: Ellen Attached to the Laurel Hester Story

Feature film based on the Oscar-winning documentary

Roy
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Dec 30, 2008 1:30 pm

And finally the news came to Denmark

http://vip.tv2.dk/article.php/id-19360033.html

It says: " "Juno"-star Ellen Page is takinng on another role, which the Americans think is controversial.
She has said yes to playing a lesbian in her next movie.
The 22-year-old Canadian actress had her break through last year as the pregnant teenager Juno MacGuff in Jason Reitman's social realistic comedy and now she's going to be in a drama about a real person.
The movie is about the New Jersey Police officer, Laurel Hester, who got known for her fight for equal rights in 2005.
While she was diagnosed with a lethal lung cancer, Hester fought for her girlfriend, with whom she lived in a registered partnership with, could get the same pension as a heterosexual spouse would have gotten.
Hester prevailed less than three weeks before she died on Feb. 18th 2006.
Page is taking on the role as Hester's girlfriend, Stacie Andree.
The actress' performance in "Juno" gave her an Oscar nomination."

Maybe not the best translation, but at least I hope you get the point :)

- Happy new year!!
Jeez Banana, shut your friggin' gob okay?!

dodom
Neon Chuck Norris
Neon Chuck Norris

Dec 31, 2008 12:40 am

That article, other then mis-quoting her age as 22 (she is still 21), is cool. Looks like their source is saying she has full on accepted the role. Should be interesting.

I think the age thing wouldn't generally be an issue except when you're taking on a true story, so you want to preserve the honesty of the original story and the characters within. That being said though, her looking a little younger shouldn't have any adverse effect to the story, and through make-up, dress, and hairstyle actors can always be made to look older/younger then they really are.
She said i'm more like a fool for soul and passion

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Dec 31, 2008 12:58 am

And bare in mind it's not going to get made for a few years so she'll probably be around 23, 24. That gives her time to age a little bit more. Ooh look, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it :biggrin:
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Dec 31, 2008 6:28 am

Haha, I love how it says "Americans find it controversial". To me, that suggests that there are parts of the world that can't even begin to understand how dumb and narrow-minded a large part of our country is. Then again, I certainly couldn't explain it to them.
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."

Gunnar
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Dec 31, 2008 6:42 am

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:Haha, I love how it says "Americans find it controversial". To me, that suggests that there are parts of the world that can't even begin to understand how dumb and narrow-minded a large part of our country is. Then again, I certainly couldn't explain it to them.
Nope we cannot. Starting a war on terror campaign yet still supporting the biggest terrorist organisation that has held a whole nation in terror for 60 years. Ohh how faith can have good repercussions and makes the believer much better and more in touch with his decency.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 31, 2008 11:58 am

Roy wrote:And finally the news came to Denmark

http://vip.tv2.dk/article.php/id-19360033.html

It says: " "Juno"-star Ellen Page is takinng on another role, which the Americans think is controversial.
She has said yes to playing a lesbian in her next movie.
The 22-year-old Canadian actress had her break through last year as the pregnant teenager Juno MacGuff in Jason Reitman's social realistic comedy and now she's going to be in a drama about a real person.
The movie is about the New Jersey Police officer, Laurel Hester, who got known for her fight for equal rights in 2005.
While she was diagnosed with a lethal lung cancer, Hester fought for her girlfriend, with whom she lived in a registered partnership with, could get the same pension as a heterosexual spouse would have gotten.
Hester prevailed less than three weeks before she died on Feb. 18th 2006.
Page is taking on the role as Hester's girlfriend, Stacie Andree.
The actress' performance in "Juno" gave her an Oscar nomination."

Maybe not the best translation, but at least I hope you get the point :)

- Happy new year!!
Thanks for sharing that article, Roy. Looks more and more like Ellen will be doing this movie

Jii

Jan 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Wow, seems rather interesting story to be told. So glad Ellen's about to take this role even though her appearance may turn out to be a little hindrance.

And yeah, thanks for the info =).

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Jan 07, 2009 1:46 am

Thanks for posting (and translating) that for us Roy :thumbsup: Interesting that she would take on the role of the girlfriend :noclue: I guess we'll sit back and wait for official confirmation :D
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jan 07, 2009 4:59 am

haha, i guess its okay to play the girlfriend if it means advocating for gay rights

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Jan 12, 2009 12:54 am

Another article 'confirming' that Ellen will play this role.

Ellen Page plays real-life lesbian

The who is/who isn’t rumor cloud has recently hovered over adorable, Oscar-nominated “Juno” star Ellen Page. She even added to it on a “Saturday Night Live” sketch in which she stated her desire to “hug another woman with my legs in friendship.”

On the flip side of funny, Page just signed on to play Stacie Andree, the partner of lesbian police lieutenant Laurel Hester, who was involved in a years-long battle that changed the face of domestic partner rights. After being diagnosed with cancer, Hester’s attempts to will her pension benefits to Andree were denied because the women weren’t legally married. Eventually, after a lengthy court battle, Hester won, although she lost her life to cancer weeks after the decision. The film will be directed by Cynthia Wade, who won an Oscar for “Freeheld,” a documentary about Hester and Andree. No word yet on when shooting will start on a film that some are already calling “the lesbian ‘Philadelphia.’”

This article appeard in the Dallas Voice print edition January 9, 2009.

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jan 12, 2009 8:06 am

Why can't anyone write an article about this without making some smartass remark about her own sexuality? It's so annoying. Perpetuating baseless rumors is such lazy journalism.
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jan 12, 2009 11:51 am

in regards to her not looking old enough; that's an easy fix. well-disciplined actors have been known to sacrifice their body when the part calls for it (bale in the machinist if anyone recalls). if she can fix her daily routine to at least a pack a day with a few glasses of jonnie walker black, she'll be at 30 in no time at all.
Though, I don't know how well a crushed lunchbox with a spear through it would work...

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Jan 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:Why can't anyone write an article about this without making some smartass remark about her own sexuality? It's so annoying. Perpetuating baseless rumors is such lazy journalism.
Yeah, I know but I guess they think more people will read it if it headlines like that :noclue:

And studnothin - :laugh: And she'd have fun doing it too! What a great sacrifice for her art :biggrin:

junebug
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Mar 07, 2009 4:28 am

Ellen page's new movie! aargh soo excited!

and, there's a rumour that she joined the cast of Inception with Leonardo dicaprio

http://www.afterellen.com/blog/trishben ... ading-lady

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Here's an update on this project:
Deals: Endgame to Finance Drama With Ellen Page, Ron Nyswaner
By Sharon Waxman;Published: May 18, 2010

Jim Stern's Endgame Entertainment announced Tuesday it would be financing a feature film starring Ellen Page ("Juno"), and written by Ron Nyswaner ("Phildelphia") drama based on an Academy Award-winning documentary short called Freeheld.

The film tells the story of a gay New Jersey car mechanic (Page) who struggles to get medical and work benefits after her girlfriend, a police detective, is diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Michael Shamberg and Stacy Sher will produce, along with Sterm, Vie Entertaiment's Kelly Bush, and Cynthia Wade

Full news release below:

Los Angeles, Cannes (May 18, 2010) – Academy Award®-nominated screenwriter Ron Nyswaner (Philadelphia) will adapt Cynthia Wade’s 2007 Oscar®-winning documentary Freeheld into a feature film to star Academy Award®-nominee Ellen Page (Juno, Inception). The Endgame Entertainment-financed film will be produced by Endgame’s James D. Stern, Double Feature Films’ Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher, Vie Entertainment’s Kelly Bush, and Cynthia Wade. Endgame’s Doug Hansen and Adam Del Deo will executive produce.

Freeheld examines the true story of New Jersey car mechanic Stacie Andree (Page) and her police detective girlfriend Laurel Hester’s struggle to secure pension benefits after Hester’s diagnosis with a terminal illness. The struggle that ensued with the county legislators exposed government corruption, long-gestating community bigotry and the courage of individuals in a battle for equality that resonated around the world.

“As a documentarian and feature producer, you always look for powerful stories with subject matter that will resonate with audiences, and Cynthia’s remarkable chronicle of the battle forged by two women did just that,” says Stern. “We are thrilled that Double Feature Films brought the project to us and that Ron, Ellen and our production partners are on board to do this unforgettable and relevant story justice.”

"We saw Cynthia's wonderful documentary and right away we knew it would be a great dramatic film,” recall Shamberg and Sher. “Ellen was our first and only choice for this and Endgame is the perfect home."

Nyswaner was nominated for an Oscar®, Golden Globe® and WGA® Award for Jonathan Demme’s Philadelphia and an Independent Spirit Award for The Painted Veil. He also penned the critically-acclaimed “Soldier’s Girl.” Nyswaner’s adaptation of Hamlet for director Catherine Hardwicke is currently in production.

Page will next be seen opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in this summer’s Inception, for director Christopher Nolan. The actress has recently completed shooting Super opposite Rainn Wilson, Liv Tyler, and Kevin Bacon, directed by James Gunn and slated for a 2010 release.

Shamberg and Sher’s Double Feature Films has produced several films based on true stories, including Oliver Stone’s World Trade Center, Freedom Writers and the Oscar®-winning Erin Brockovich.

About Endgame Entertainment

Endgame Entertainment, under the leadership of CEO James D. Stern, is a production/financing company with over $100 million in operating capital. The company is currently in post-production on The Hungry Rabbit Jumps, directed by Roger Donaldson and starring Nicolas Cage. Recently released titles include the Academy Award nominated An Education (Sony Pictures Classics); and Every Little Step (Sony Pictures Classics), a documentary on the making of Broadway’s longest-running musical and current revival that was shortlisted for an Academy Award. Other titles include Summit’s caper comedy The Brothers Bloom; and Sony Pictures Classic’s Easy Virtue; as well as The Weinstein Company’s Bob Dylan biopic I’m Not There. Since its inception in 2003, Endgame has co-financed more than 25 features including Hotel Rwanda and Lord of War for Lionsgate; Proof for Miramax; White Noise for Universal; Stay Alive for Hollywood Pictures; and the New Line comedy Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.

Source: www.thewrap.com
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Dominik wrote:Here's an update on this project:
Deals: Endgame to Finance Drama With Ellen Page, Ron Nyswaner
By Sharon Waxman;Published: May 18, 2010
Really looking forward to seeing who will co-star with Ellen as Laurel Hester. Sounds like this drama may have the same impact as "Philadelphia".
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 19, 2010 6:41 am

Someone up thread suggested Naomi Watts, and I kinda like that pairing. Julianne Moore would be a good candidate too, I think.

BTW, there's a film website/blog that is discussing this very subject right now. There's some interesting commentary going on, so if you want to check it out, go here:

http://filmexperience.blogspot.com/

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 19, 2010 7:21 am

Thanks for the info and updates. Interesting reading that blog (although I dusagree about the Cisco commercials....I though they were a great idea....and great ads

Noticed that Kelly Bush is one of the producers....did not know she also was in movie production, too

Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 20, 2010 1:08 am

It is a good blog, with some pretty insightful commentary on films, acting, and the studio system.

BTW, Nathaniel, the blogger, is posting a lot lately. So the Ellen article is being pushed down to near the bottom of the web page. Eventually, he'll probably archive it. Should anyone want to read the article once it's been archived, use the search function on the blog.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 20, 2010 8:38 am

Strawberry_Letter23 wrote:Should anyone want to read the article once it's been archived, use the search function on the blog.
Or check the press archive on EPO :rolleye: :brightly: It shouldn't be hard to find. :twinkle:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.