CBC Uncut Interview

Topics about the great Canadian actress

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 13, 2010 4:01 am

Well a 48 minute long interview makes for some good conversation, see it popping up in multiple spots on the board, figured its own thread was in order.

What I find interesting is the deal about celebrities not thinking they're special, despite how they are displayed to the public. I think it's unfortunate that with being a celebrity comes this kind of automatic wall, even if you don't want to. Everyone assumes they just think they're pricks who think they're better than everyone, but I think it's just the way everything unfortunately works with famous people, they end up looking that way.

[Update] by JimH:
Just for reference, this thread is discussing the audio interview found here:
http://audio.ellen-page.net/cbcradioqun ... g2010.html

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 13, 2010 5:34 am

HeartHer wrote:What I find interesting is the deal about celebrities not thinking they're special, despite how they are displayed to the public. I think it's unfortunate that with being a celebrity comes this kind of automatic wall, even if you don't want to. Everyone assumes they just think they're pricks who think they're better than everyone, but I think it's just the way everything unfortunately works with famous people, they end up looking that way.
I don't think it's the actors (they hate the word "celebrities") fault. We (the audience) tend to put them on unreasonable pedestals - projecting our thoughts on to them. In Ellen's case (and many others) - all they want to do is work as actors. Our projections cause the wall - after all, we are all made from the same stuff. There is nothing fundamentally different between any of us - just the choices we make cause us to follow different paths. Having said all this wonderful philosophical stuff, I would probably be dumb struck if I ran into Ellen on the street. :totallysick:
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 13, 2010 6:03 am

JimH wrote:
HeartHer wrote:What I find interesting is the deal about celebrities not thinking they're special, despite how they are displayed to the public. I think it's unfortunate that with being a celebrity comes this kind of automatic wall, even if you don't want to. Everyone assumes they just think they're pricks who think they're better than everyone, but I think it's just the way everything unfortunately works with famous people, they end up looking that way.
I don't think it's the actors (they hate the word "celebrities") fault. We (the audience) tend to put them on unreasonable pedestals - projecting our thoughts on to them. In Ellen's case (and many others) - all they want to do is work as actors. Our projections cause the wall - after all, we are all made from the same stuff. There is nothing fundamentally different between any of us - just the choices we make cause us to follow different paths. Having said all this wonderful philosophical stuff, I would probably be dumb struck if I ran into Ellen on the street. :totallysick:
Perfectly said. I don't like using the word "celebrities" either, but saying actor would exclude musicians and such who deal with the exact same thing. We look at them almost like deities and eat up anything about them (ya I think we're all very guilty of this :sassy: ) that if they step outside paparazzi are snapping photos of them and they struggle to get through a crowded plaza without getting stopped. I'm sure many of them would love to just walk outside and be able to occasionally run into a fan and talk to them, or just be able to walk around without being noticed like most people, but the amount of attention they get is ridiculous, it'd be really hard for them to be able to socialize with tons of regular people and talk because so many people every day would try to and they'd never get to do anything like a normal person.

But like you said, if I ran into Ellen on the street, I too would probably be dumbstruck, although I hope with all my heart that if/when I run into her, I'll find words and be able to say something without making her nervous, since she talks about how shy she is. Also I'd like a photo with her :satisfied: .

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 13, 2010 6:22 am

I was impressed again by Ellen's personal balancing act in her life. She seems very comfortable with the separation of her personal life (love of dogs, nature, sustaining environment etc.) and her work life - where both seem equally important and co-exist easily.
This would normally be an achievement for someone in their 30's or 40's but I think to be 23 and so assured in this way is remarkable (despite her own denials).

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 13, 2010 6:31 am

JimH wrote:I was impressed again by Ellen's personal balancing act in her life. She seems very comfortable with the separation of her personal life (love of dogs, nature, sustaining environment etc.) and her work life - where both seem equally important and co-exist easily.
This would normally be an achievement for someone in their 30's or 40's but I think to be 23 and so assured in this way is remarkable (despite her own denials).
Oh I'm sure she realizes that it's pretty impressive how she has her life balanced so well. She'd never admit it though, a bit too humble.

I'd like to mention that with this post comes the first time since I joined this board that the number of posts in the last 24 hours exceeds the average number of posts in a day... I think, I'm not constantly checking it but it seems like it's been maybe 10 new per day. What relevance does this have? None, but yay :victory.

it-must-be-love
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 14, 2010 6:56 pm

:hearteyes: OMG I love her voice =)..the interview was interesting..she seems like an inteligent girl and deep person and that's something you can't fake...

and she says a lot of "you know" or "you know what I mean" haha It's funny xD
:purpleconfused:

El

Before I leave...this page it's amazing!! thanks to the webmaster :loveforever:
Gracias por un página tan genial sobre Ellen! eres el mejor!!
"None but ourselves can free our minds" Bob Marley

talkingraisin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 14, 2010 7:01 pm

James Gunn described Ellen Page as extremely serious and quiet on set, but brings tremendous amounts of energy into her performance. Tommy O'Haver (An American Crime) said (in a hard to find youtube video) the same thing, that Ellen completely embodied the character Silvia Likens, that with every scream, it was as if Silvia was there. In his words, "Ellen was intense".

This interview confirms that description of her personality. She acts for the sake of acting, and she treats it with absolute seriousness. I think that's how she can pull off such incredible performances. She is just amazing.

On a different note, I'm slightly annoyed at how every single interviewer asks her the same set of questions. It's always: Life After Juno, Adjusting to Celebrity Status, Staying Grounded, How's Halifax, What's Leonardo Dicaprio Like, Permaculture, etc etc. She answers them as honestly and humbly as she can, but I can imagine how tired she is of the same old. Also, it's extremely annoying for us Ellen Page fans because we never learn anything new about her. I mean, this is a 48 minute interview, and the only new thing I learned is that she might have been expelled by a couple of high schools. Come On!

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 14, 2010 7:18 pm

talkingraisin wrote:James Gunn described Ellen Page as extremely serious and quiet on set, but brings tremendous amounts of energy into her performance. Tommy O'Haver (An American Crime) said (in a hard to find youtube video) the same thing, that Ellen completely embodied the character Silvia Likens, that with every scream, it was as if Silvia was there. In his words, "Ellen was intense".

This interview confirms that description of her personality. She acts for the sake of acting, and she treats it with absolute seriousness. I think that's how she can pull off such incredible performances. She is just amazing.

On a different note, I'm slightly annoyed at how every single interviewer asks her the same set of questions. It's always: Life After Juno, Adjusting to Celebrity Status, Staying Grounded, How's Halifax, What's Leonardo Dicaprio Like, Permaculture, etc etc. She answers them as honestly and humbly as she can, but I can imagine how tired she is of the same old. Also, it's extremely annoying for us Ellen Page fans because we never learn anything new about her. I mean, this is a 48 minute interview, and the only new thing I learned is that she might have been expelled by a couple of high schools. Come On!
http://board.ellen-page.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=85

Well from this description it sounds like she is always very focused, then everything else depends on the character she's playing. If she has an intense role, she'll act intense around the set. If the movie's a bit more light-hearted and witty, it sounds like she'll still act focus but be a bit more youthful and fun around the set.

It does seem like most interviews fall into a certain "Ellen Page interview" mold, they all ask the same questions. I liked when she went on the Craig Ferguson show and they talked for a good 5 minutes about her dogs then a little bit about if there's a Haligonian accent/accents nearby. But the rest of it was just the same "How's Halifax" routine (although I liked it more than usual because I think Craig Ferguson is hilarious, so him + EP was fantastic), but she always seems excited to talk about it, I think she really loves it there.

Part of the reason for this very specific "interview mold" could be that she doesn't share much about her private life. Some actors openly share it and they could get asked questions for 20 minutes and not have an issue sharing any of it, but Ellen's a bit shyer and more reserved about her private life.
Last edited by HeartHer on Aug 14, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Loved the interview.

Ellen is just so intelligent...so focused. OK I wish I can come up with less trite comments....Ellen just rocks :)

However, did anyone catch this: Ellen said she was expelled from schools...one time for blow-torching a teachers car :biggrin: Wonder if that was just a joke..or did it really happen :biggrin:

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 14, 2010 7:27 pm

UCFRdWarrior wrote:Loved the interview.

Ellen is just so intelligent...so focused. OK I wish I can come up with less trite comments....Ellen just rocks :)

However, did anyone catch this: Ellen said she was expelled from schools...one time for blow-torching a teachers car :biggrin: Wonder if that was just a joke..or did it really happen :biggrin:
Kids do dumb crap, in some cases really dumb crap like this. So it's certainly not a stretch that she was being completely serious; I think she was. Just went through a bit of a delinquent stage then outgrew it, like many kids, just a bit more extreme than most :lol2: . Definitely makes for a more interesting person in the end.

-- Aug 14, 2010 10:30 am --
it-must-be-love wrote::hearteyes: OMG I love her voice =)..the interview was interesting..she seems like an inteligent girl and deep person and that's something you can't fake...

and she says a lot of "you know" or "you know what I mean" haha It's funny xD
:purpleconfused:

El

Before I leave...this page it's amazing!! thanks to the webmaster :loveforever:
Gracias por un página tan genial sobre Ellen! eres el mejor!!
Seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyC23CFLyU

She said she was gonna work on saying it less, but most of her fans said they liked it... so I guess she never did work on it :laugh:

Joro
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Aug 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Can anyone rip the interview or provide a download link. For some reason only the first 10secs play for me.

And what does 'blow torching' mean. Did she literally blow the car using a torch or is it some idiom?
It's not that I don't try being polite, it's just that I fail most of the time.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Joro wrote:Can anyone rip the interview or provide a download link. For some reason only the first 10secs play for me.
It's available for download on EPO. Check the audio clip section :rolleye: :kickrock:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Joro
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Aug 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Dominik wrote:
Joro wrote:Can anyone rip the interview or provide a download link. For some reason only the first 10secs play for me.
It's available for download on EPO. Check the audio clip section :rolleye: :kickrock:
Thanks a million, Dominik!
It's not that I don't try being polite, it's just that I fail most of the time.

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 14, 2010 10:33 pm

And what does 'blow torching' mean. Did she literally blow the car using a torch or is it some idiom?
It literally meant she took a blow torch and burned the top of her teacher's car :sassy:!

it-must-be-love
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 15, 2010 1:31 am

hahaha...Did she do that??? that's weird but she really has this kind of rebeld thing..don't you think?. :hearteyes: ..
They say that "she's serious" but I think she has an english sense of humor xD hehe

Yes, :purpleconfused: I saw a post in her Facebook about the video on youtube that shows that she says "you know" too much xD

I wonder why they never ask her If she is (...)??..I wonder what she would answer... :stunned: :stunned:

sorry about my writing...you know I speak spanish..but I do understand all that you write :) :)

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 15, 2010 1:55 am

it-must-be-love wrote:I wonder why they never ask her If she is gay??..I wonder what she would answer... :stunned: :stunned:
You obviously didn't read the board rules. That's a yellow card for you :yellowcard: Why don't "they" ask her if she's straight or bi? Because it is no ones business! I can't tell you how annoying it is to have the same questions and discussions over and over again. It isn't something we like to discuss here. PERIOD. If you want to find an answer to this question all you have to do is go to Google. I'm sure you will find a plenty of rumors, gossip, speculations, trash and whatever out there. Enjoy!
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

it-must-be-love
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 15, 2010 2:09 am

Dominik wrote:
it-must-be-love wrote:I wonder why they never ask her If she is gay??..I wonder what she would answer... :stunned: :stunned:
You obviously didn't read the board rules. That's a yellow card for you :yellowcard: Why don't "they" ask her if she's straight or bi? Because it is no ones business! I can't tell you how annoying it is to have the same questions and discussions over and over again. It isn't something we like to discuss here. PERIOD. If you want to find an answer to this question all you have to do is go to Google. I'm sure you will find a plenty of rumors, gossip, speculations, trash and whatever out there. Enjoy!
:weeping: :weeping: sorry I didn't know that rule...that's why I put "(...)" insteat the "other word"... u_U anyway she could be whatever she wants and still be a good actor :hearteyes:

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 15, 2010 2:17 am

it-must-be-love wrote: :weeping: :weeping: sorry I didn't know that rule...that's why I put "(...)" insteat the "other word"... u_U anyway she could be whatever she wants and still be a good actor :hearteyes:
Thanks for the apology :rules: and welcome to board :waving:

it-must-be-love
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 15, 2010 2:20 am

JimH wrote:
it-must-be-love wrote: :weeping: :weeping: sorry I didn't know that rule...that's why I put "(...)" insteat the "other word"... u_U anyway she could be whatever she wants and still be a good actor :hearteyes:
Thanks for the apology :rules: and welcome to board :waving:
:D thanks

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 15, 2010 3:38 am

Dominik wrote: You obviously didn't read the board rules. That's a yellow card for you :yellowcard: Why don't "they" ask her if she's straight or bi? Because it is no ones business! I can't tell you how annoying it is to have the same questions and discussions over and over again. It isn't something we like to discuss here. PERIOD. If you want to find an answer to this question all you have to do is go to Google. I'm sure you will find a plenty of rumors, gossip, speculations, trash and whatever out there. Enjoy!
Absolutely. There are many great things about this board but the best is how we respect Ellen and her privacy. Kudos Dom.