Ellen Page will be on stage for "The Good Canary"

Topics about the great Canadian actress

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 29, 2009 3:53 pm

It looks like we'll see Ellen on stage next year. According to Mr. Mudd's website, she will participate in the play "The Good Canary" written by Zach Helm and directed by Juno producer John Malkovich. The comedy is approximately 110 minutes long and is about Jack Parker, a promising novelist, whose future is spoilt by his wife Annie. She spends her day cleaning the house and taking amphetamines, also stops eating and her mental state deteriorates. Jack deeply loves her and tries to help her but both hold a secret which will unveil the reason behind their strange behaviour....

Overall, the story is chiefly about love and is violent just like its characters and the script is charged with infuriating acid humour, which is both touching and spine-chilling. "It's a play about two young people who are very very much in love and it's a play about seven people who believed things to a great extent about other characters which are not true," said Malkovich about the plot.

It's hard to say if they will perform in London or New York because both cities have a "West End Theatre", but if you consider this announcment on backstage.com it's likely it's going to be on Broadway.

Side note: At the request of Malkovich, Ellen attended a performance of "El buen canario" (Spanish version) in Guadalajara, Mexico in 2008.

Source: www.mrmudd.com
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nov 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Great news - I was wondering when or if this was going to happen. There has only been a few mentions about Ellen's trip to Guadalajara in a few of the Spanish language newspapers (last year?). Any way thanks again for keeping on top of it.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

SageAndPage
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Nov 29, 2009 6:57 pm

Do you think there will be a actual release for it? Or will it be one of those plays that is performed once and discreetly disappears, never to be seen onstage (again) or as a recorded performance...

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

SageAndPage wrote:Do you think there will be a actual release for it? Or will it be one of those plays that is performed once and discreetly disappears, never to be seen onstage (again) or as a recorded performance...
According to this source: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/12 ... exico-City

"El Buen Canario is (was) scheduled to play a ten-week limited engagement at Mexico City's Teatro de Los Insurgentes beginning Nov. 26. " (2008) - So we have that to compare with Ellen's proposed run.

As well: http://www.informador.com.mx/entretenim ... terrey.htm

My Spanish is not great but I think it also states similar runs included Mexico City and Monterrey - seven cities in all, for a total of 100 performances.

Buyhercandy
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 30, 2009 3:16 am

Berjesus! I truly hope this is London. I mean London's theatre district is called the West End. I've never heard it for NY. That's just called Broadway isn't it? Well anyways if it's London i surely hope it's somewhere like the Donmar Warehouse. It attracts huge stars but it's basically just a big living room. If Ellen's there i'm buying for the whole damn run!

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 30, 2009 7:52 am

WOW! Thanks for the info Dom and Jim! Sounds quite interesting :yes: Not that I'll get to see it :disappointed:
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Daffy_d
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Nov 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Buyhercandy wrote:Berjesus! I truly hope this is London.

If Ellen's there i'm buying for the whole damn run!
And I'll deff hit the plane from Norway :) Lets cross our fingers for London.
You'll never walk alone

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 30, 2009 4:43 pm

SageAndPage wrote:Do you think there will be a actual release for it? Or will it be one of those plays that is performed once and discreetly disappears, never to be seen onstage (again) or as a recorded performance...
I have no idea and it's probably to early to tell, but the french version aired once on TV in February 2009.
Buyhercandy wrote:Berjesus! I truly hope this is London. I mean London's theatre district is called the West End. I've never heard it for NY. That's just called Broadway isn't it? Well anyways if it's London i surely hope it's somewhere like the Donmar Warehouse. It attracts huge stars but it's basically just a big living room. If Ellen's there i'm buying for the whole damn run!
I can assure you there's also a "West End theatre" in New York City (see also maps.google.com). But, again, that's all speculative at this point :rolleye:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 30, 2009 6:53 pm

I'm thinkin it's london. just sayin...

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 01, 2009 6:29 am

I'm thinking its New York's West End...which would be all right by me :) Be so cool to see Ellen on Broadway :) I'd even listen to some showtunes for that :biggrin:

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Dec 01, 2009 4:41 pm

bobbydean wrote:The quote from the home page Just This morning (EST), regarding the stage play The Good Canary by Zach Helm, which says,

"At the request of Malkovich, Ellen attended a performance..."

seems like perfect timing and great news. Established talent recognizers see what everyone else here sees in Ellen, something different, new and ultra-dynamic.

For anyone (presumably everyone here) who has seen Ellen in numerous Films like, of course Juno and Smart People, she's extremly "real-time-witty" in both subtle gestures, verbal timing, an emotion (The off the road Van Scene in Juno; TTF) which appears to me to be the a great sign that she has what it takes to be an outstanding Live Performing Artist.

WOW! The John Malkovich quote speaks volumes in itself as to her solid status.

Sidenote: I had no idea he was the Producer of Juno...that's what it says on the Homepage, "...she will perform in the play »The Good Canary« written by Zach Helm and directed by »Juno« producer John Malkovich."
I love this quote from John Malkovich about Ellen:
http://ellenpage.org/index2.html?http:/ ... uotes.html

"Ellen Page is as arresting and soulful a performer as I have seen in a very long time."
- Juno producer and actor John Malkovich

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Dec 02, 2009 12:01 am

Good article, thanks for posting Jim :thumbsup: And they'd be right :yes:

John Malkovich's quote is also very very true! It's why we're all here!
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 02, 2009 6:25 am

Yes love the Malkovich quote too :super: And I am sure its more than just Juno made him a ton of $$$ :laugh:

Maybe we can get that movie made...."Being Ellen Page" :laugh: