Remember Ellen's fight for Aung San Suu Kyi?

Topics about the great Canadian actress
Locked
User avatar

Topic author
Allan
R.I.P 1952-2012
R.I.P 1952-2012
Posts: 64
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 7:19 pm
Status: Offline

May 14, 2009 5:30 pm

Those of you on the old board a year ago might remember Ellen's participation in a public awareness campaign against the brutal Burmese dictator and his regime's treatment of potential (and past) rival Aung San Suu Kyi. She's been under house arrest for years, and was supposed to be freed later this month (May 27). But the evil dictator just arrested her and is going to try her for something she didn't have anything to do with. (An American came to visit her without her knowledge, and that is the basis of her arrest.) It's crazy.

For an update on this story, see:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0514/p99s01-duts.html

It's so sad, but it looks like her freedom might be thwarted--again. The thread from the previous EPO forum is HERE. (The burmaitcantwait.org URL mentioned there is no longer working, but http://uscampaignforburma.org is -- go there for more information if you want it.)

Image
User avatar

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 252
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Status: Offline

May 15, 2009 6:52 am

that's so sad. :disappointed:
Image
User avatar

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz
Posts: 3721
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 8:08 am
Location: Melbourne
Status: Offline

May 15, 2009 9:03 am

It's friggin crazy! Thanks for posting though Allan :)
Image
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers
User avatar

Topic author
Allan
R.I.P 1952-2012
R.I.P 1952-2012
Posts: 64
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 7:19 pm
Status: Offline

May 15, 2009 5:22 pm

Update: There was an item in the St. Louis newspaper yesterday about this because the man who swam across the lake to Aung San's house was from our state. Apparently he just went there to try and get some food and shelter. In a story in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, he "told them that he was tired and hungry after the swim and has diabetes." He was someone who admired Aung San and was writing a book on heroism, according to his family.

Not a very smart guy. If he's a fan of hers, he should have known what his "visit" could cost her. Now they're both in a shitload of trouble.
User avatar

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 2129
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 4:20 am
Location: Florida
Status: Offline

May 18, 2009 7:01 am

Stinks what has happened to her (Aung San)....puts more into perspective Ellen's video and the effort to raise more awareness about what is going on in Burma
Image
User avatar

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1067
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Baden-Baden
Contact:
Status: Offline

May 18, 2009 10:15 am

I read about that in my local newspaper this weekend and I have to say the reason why he placed her under house arrest (again) is ridiculous and absolutely not understandable. Okay, folks, I think it's time for the EPORT (*Ellen*Page*Online*Rescue*Team*) to change this. Who'd like to join me and travel to Burma? :cowboy: :handcufff:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
User avatar

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 669
Joined: May 02, 2009 1:30 am
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

May 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Dominik wrote:Okay, folks, I think it's time for the EPORT (*Ellen*Page*Online*Rescue*Team*) to change this. Who'd like to join me and travel to Burma?
If Ellen is leading the team, then I'm in. :laugh:
Image
User avatar

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan
Posts: 321
Joined: Jan 18, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Mt.Pleasant ON
Status: Offline

May 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Dominik wrote:I read about that in my local newspaper this weekend and I have to say the reason why he placed her under house arrest (again) is ridiculous and absolutely not understandable. Okay, folks, I think it's time for the EPORT (*Ellen*Page*Online*Rescue*Team*) to change this. Who'd like to join me and travel to Burma? :cowboy: :handcufff:
All right! I'm in. Can I wear a cape? :laugh:

I don't think I understand this. Was Ellen kidnapped or something?
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM
User avatar

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 2129
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 4:20 am
Location: Florida
Status: Offline

May 20, 2009 6:14 am

Dominik wrote:I read about that in my local newspaper this weekend and I have to say the reason why he placed her under house arrest (again) is ridiculous and absolutely not understandable. Okay, folks, I think it's time for the EPORT (*Ellen*Page*Online*Rescue*Team*) to change this. Who'd like to join me and travel to Burma? :cowboy: :handcufff:
Lets Go! And lets get Chuck Norris to come along :cowboy:
Image
User avatar

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1067
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Baden-Baden
Contact:
Status: Offline

May 20, 2009 2:14 pm

UCFRdWarrior wrote:Lets Go! And lets get Chuck Norris to come along :cowboy:
[off topic]
Of course, this can't be done without him :)

Image

Here are only a few reasons why:

01. There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.
02. Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
03. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down.
04. Chuck Norris did in fact, build Rome in a day.
05. Chuck Norris can set ants on fire with a magnifying glass. At night.
06. Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
07. Chuck Norris once went skydiving, but promised never to do it again. One Grand Canyon is enough.
08. Chuck Norris' first job was as a paperboy. There were no survivors.
09. When you say "no one's perfect", Chuck Norris takes this as a personal insult.
10. When Chuck Norris plays Monopoly, it affects the actual world economy.
11. In the X-Men movies, none of the X-Men super-powers are done with special effects. Chuck Norris is the stuntman for every character.
[...]
[/off topic]

Okay now seriously. I know the world already has enough problems with other conflict areas like Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Israel or Palestine and a new war is the last thing we need. But maybe a military operation is the only way to stop these things and the dictatorship in Burma.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
User avatar

Topic author
Allan
R.I.P 1952-2012
R.I.P 1952-2012
Posts: 64
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 7:19 pm
Status: Offline

May 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Dominik wrote:But maybe a military operation is the only way to stop these things and the dictatorship in Burma.
Unfortunately, the USA wouldn't be interested because it has no other strategic interests in that part of the world. I don't believe we start wars for purely humanitarian reasons.

Joe R.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 111
Joined: May 03, 2009 10:57 am
Status: Offline

May 21, 2009 7:22 am

Allan wrote:
Dominik wrote:But maybe a military operation is the only way to stop these things and the dictatorship in Burma.
Unfortunately, the USA wouldn't be interested because it has no other strategic interests in that part of the world. I don't believe we start wars for purely humanitarian reasons.
I concur....Of corse America would only employ military strategy if it was in our best interest's. And since there is no foreseeable profit's or resources to be harvested from, then I highly doubt that we will rest our interest in Burma. Reality but the truth...
Our dreams keep us youthful and alive,the very breath which helps us thrive.
Our dreams are tangible and they keep us optimistic.
It's intangible when our dreams go from a dream to becoming realistic.

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan
Posts: 28
Joined: Dec 21, 2008 9:40 pm
Status: Offline

May 24, 2009 10:26 am

hey, if you want U.S. help and don't have any exploitable natural resources, you better be prepared to at least validate parking.
Though, I don't know how well a crushed lunchbox with a spear through it would work...
User avatar

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 669
Joined: May 02, 2009 1:30 am
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Jul 29, 2009 1:23 am

A little update, hopefully all this international attention will help.

http://www.u2.com/news/title/aung-san-s ... conscience
Image
Locked