Ellen's young appearance

Topics about the great Canadian actress

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 03, 2009 12:26 am

How much longer will Ellen be able to get away with playing 16 or 17 year old characters?

Would she like to eventually play characters closer to her own real age?

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

May 03, 2009 12:41 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote:How much longer will Ellen be able to get away with playing 16 or 17 year old characters?

Would she like to eventually play characters closer to her own real age?
Judging by the fact that Brad Pitt just recently played a teenage character in Benjamin Button, anything is possible. Realistically I think she has a few more years of easy eligibility for these roles, but she is already starting to play characters her own age. Her role in Peacock is a character that we can only assume is in her 20s as she is a young mother, and she will have to play a variety of ages for Jane Eyre. Also in interviews she has expressed a desire to do more older roles.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

May 03, 2009 2:09 am

Also - going old school here but what about 90210? They were late 20's playing 16 year olds! She has a young face and she's small so she could get away with it for quite some time I'm assuming. If she wants to take on those roles now...
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

May 03, 2009 4:52 am

Lori wrote:Also - going old school here but what about 90210? They were late 20's playing 16 year olds!
Yeah, but they looked old. They cast older people in these roles because those under 18 are only allowed to be on set for a limited amount of time each day. If your actors are adults you can shoot a lot more each day which is important for a series like 90210 which had to shoot a one hour episode each week.

Female actors tend to be more convincing in young roles as girls mature physically sooner than guys and as you said Lori, Ellen has the advantage of being petite.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

wakarimasu
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Christina Ricci comes to mind, she had the very same youthfull look Ellen has. obviously you can manage to keep it as long as possible with a proper diet and life style.

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

May 26, 2009 9:43 am

Another actress that I love, Brea Grant, who is similarly young-looking, is 27 and she played a freshman in high school only about a year ago. So, I think Ellen will probably be able to play younger roles for many more years. The question is whether she wants to do it for that long. She'd probably prefer to move away from it, and her upcoming roles seem to reflect that.
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:Another actress that I love, Brea Grant, who is similarly young-looking, is 27 and she played a freshman in high school only about a year ago.

IIRC, Olivia Newton John was 29 when she played Sandy in Grease. So, I guess really anything is possible. :)
Carlo Von Sexron wrote:So, I think Ellen will probably be able to play younger roles for many more years. The question is whether she wants to do it for that long. She'd probably prefer to move away from it, and her upcoming roles seem to reflect that.
Good point. I'd really like to see her playing roles closer to her age.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Gosh...Henry Winkler was well into his 30's when he played a teenaged Fonzie in Happy Days....there are so many examples of teenaged characters played by much older actors

I have no problem with Ellen playing roles younger than she is....its more about the quality of the roles and not so much the age.

Neat thing about Ellen looking so young....when she is 40 she will still be able to play younger roles :D Which ought to keep her in movies for a long time

wakarimasu
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 26, 2009 9:36 pm

in the 80s it was normal for 20 something actors to play high school students, think of James Spader in Pretty in Pink or Judd Nelson in Breakfast Club.