Ellen kicks some ass as Babe Ruthless

Topic author
crazy burgers
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Nov 16, 2008 11:43 pm

Wow.

Just wow.

Not do I admire Drew Barrymore, Ellen Page, and, Marcia Gay Harden, but to see all three in Barrymore's directoral debut film, is magnificent. In slag; I am stoked.

I briefly read some of those posts on the news board of those people who had the experience to work on set of the film. And thought, 'I wish Barrymore gave me a hippie hug.'
Even as a member of the walking dead, I was not yet forsaken.

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 19, 2008 6:22 am

So I heard about a local roller derby event coming up soon on the radio a while back. and my friend out of nowhere (totally clueless about Ellen's relation to it)....said that she wanted to go see it, but her bf wouldn't go with her.....so I freaked out and told her about Ellen's new movie and that I would die to see some Roller Derby action before I see the movie.....So I'm going with her....WHOOO!!!

Helluv excited :D

Topic author
crazy burgers
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Nov 20, 2008 5:51 am

Hey that is awesome. :) have fun! And it would be cool if you can take some pictures and share them.
Even as a member of the walking dead, I was not yet forsaken.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 20, 2008 6:37 am

angie wrote:So I heard about a local roller derby event coming up soon on the radio a while back. and my friend out of nowhere (totally clueless about Ellen's relation to it)....said that she wanted to go see it, but her bf wouldn't go with her.....so I freaked out and told her about Ellen's new movie and that I would die to see some Roller Derby action before I see the movie.....So I'm going with her....WHOOO!!!

Helluv excited :D
Sounds cool Ange :super: Have fun and tell us about it. I never seen roller derby in person...only on TV a few yrs ago

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 23, 2008 3:23 am

I'm going tonight! Gotta bring a camera tho...if I can find one :D WHHOOOOOO! I love feeding my Ellen obsession!

just got back. don't really know how to explain it except it was totally bad asss!!!!!!!

this particular league was co-ed...the guys play eachother and the girls play eachother. A lot of them were older like in their 50's and there were like 2 in there 20's....and everything in between. It was the San Diego Firebirds vs. the San Francisco Bay Bombers...and the bombers one the first game and lost the second but still won the Cup...which was awesome!

It was cool to see what I read in Derby Girl happen right in front of me! I can't wait for this movie! GAHHH!!! :purpleconfused:

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 23, 2008 2:42 pm

angie wrote:I'm going tonight! Gotta bring a camera tho...if I can find one :D WHHOOOOOO! I love feeding my Ellen obsession!

just got back. don't really know how to explain it except it was totally bad asss!!!!!!!

this particular league was co-ed...the guys play eachother and the girls play eachother. A lot of them were older like in their 50's and there were like 2 in there 20's....and everything in between. It was the San Diego Firebirds vs. the San Francisco Bay Bombers...and the bombers one the first game and lost the second but still won the Cup...which was awesome!

It was cool to see what I read in Derby Girl happen right in front of me! I can't wait for this movie! GAHHH!!! :purpleconfused:
Cool :super: Great to hear you had a good time

The SF Bay Bombers are legendary....I think that was the team Raquel Welch was on when she made that Roller Derby movie some years ago (before my time)

Chelsea
Whip It Extra
Whip It Extra

Nov 24, 2008 2:54 am

Roller derby is pretty cool to watch... I got to see them film some scenes, and it was crazy!
What if I wasn't Christian right now? That'd be awkward. ... Could you imagine if I was like, hm. I celebrate Ka-wanza.

It's so funny when people try to label me a cool, indie girl. No, I’m pretty sure I was in a movie called I Downloaded a Ghost.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 24, 2008 3:50 am

Chelsea wrote:Roller derby is pretty cool to watch... I got to see them film some scenes, and it was crazy!
Did you ever go check out a proper roller derby? I kinda remember you mentioning that you might be going to one...
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

zane
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jul 21, 2009 7:15 am

that would be awsome to see a real roller derby,like someone mentioned on here that they have only seen one on tv,and that's the only place that i have seen one before,that would be fun to learn how to do :agreeing:

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 22, 2009 12:09 am

Went to the local roller derby the other nite.

It was the Sintral Florida Derby Demons vs Broward Roller Girls....Sintral Florida won 148-57....pretty much dominated the second period.

It was cool to watch....there is a lot more strategy involved that I thought. Once I figured out the scoring a little it made more sense.

The venue was a small skating rink in DeLand, FL. Lets say that...well...it was like Bliss Cavendar staying back in Bodeen, TX and being in roller derby there :laugh: Even the country bumpkins are into derby. But it was not that bad....someone did bring in a keg of beer so there was beer :drinking:

But, the coolest thing of the whole nite....was at the end....the Broward Roller Girls, after getting clobbered in the bout....chanted "WE'RE NUMBER TWO....WE'RE NUMBER TWO"...a la the "Whip It!" trailer. :laugh:

Obvious they watched the trailer. Did not see a petite brunette Canadian gal on the team though :D

Leif
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jul 22, 2009 11:41 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote:Went to the local roller derby the other nite.

It was the Sintral Florida Derby Demons vs Broward Roller Girls....Sintral Florida won 148-57....pretty much dominated the second period.

It was cool to watch....there is a lot more strategy involved that I thought. Once I figured out the scoring a little it made more sense.

The venue was a small skating rink in DeLand, FL. Lets say that...well...it was like Bliss Cavendar staying back in Bodeen, TX and being in roller derby there :laugh: Even the country bumpkins are into derby. But it was not that bad....someone did bring in a keg of beer so there was beer :drinking:

But, the coolest thing of the whole nite....was at the end....the Broward Roller Girls, after getting clobbered in the bout....chanted "WE'RE NUMBER TWO....WE'RE NUMBER TWO"...a la the "Whip It!" trailer. :laugh:

Obvious they watched the trailer. Did not see a petite brunette Canadian gal on the team though :D
That's so cool! Wish I could have been there. :stare: :)

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 23, 2009 6:31 am

Yes it was quite interesting. Probably not as flashy or wild as some of the larger venues for derby, but quite fun. :D

And they had cool names...my favorites were Daytona Biatch and Scaryanna Roughinton :laugh: (the last one is based on the lady that runs the Huffington Post website...a political website in the US)