Is Tracey supposed to be ugly?

The fragmented movie by Bruce McDonald
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 669
Joined: May 02, 2009 1:30 am
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

May 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Is Tracey supposed to be considered ugly?

Everytime I watch the movie, I can't understand why she was picked on so much at school. I thought she was cute and interesting, if I were 15 and went to her school theres no way I would pick on her, I would probably try to date her. :laugh:
Image
User avatar

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 2129
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 4:20 am
Location: Florida
Status: Offline

May 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Its more of a social issue regarding Tracey. She comes from a poor family (both parents are lazy and on the dole) that is very dysfunctional. And, most of Tracey's issues come from that broken home.
Image
User avatar

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 669
Joined: May 02, 2009 1:30 am
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

May 29, 2009 4:26 pm

UCFRdWarrior wrote:Its more of a social issue regarding Tracey. She comes from a poor family (both parents are lazy and on the dole) that is very dysfunctional. And, most of Tracey's issues come from that broken home.
I totally understand that. :) but it just seems that most of the mean things said to her are about her appearance.
Image
User avatar

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap
Posts: 2381
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 1:23 am
Location: York, England
Status: Offline

May 29, 2009 5:13 pm

Well she is the girl with no tits.
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."
User avatar

miKe
Ghost Cat Hero
Ghost Cat Hero
Posts: 538
Joined: Nov 20, 2008 3:25 am
Location: Hobs Crk
Status: Offline

May 29, 2009 8:15 pm

I think the movie makes Tracey more likable than the book did. The book didnt said much about Tracey being attractive or unattractive, but she was pretty weird there...lots of unusual/convoluted stories about her grandmother and a horse and stuff.

But i dont mind that the movie didnt make Tracey ugly. :noclue: :wink:
User avatar

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja
Posts: 4118
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 7:05 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

May 29, 2009 10:20 pm

JerseyDevil65 wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:Its more of a social issue regarding Tracey. She comes from a poor family (both parents are lazy and on the dole) that is very dysfunctional. And, most of Tracey's issues come from that broken home.
I totally understand that. :) but it just seems that most of the mean things said to her are about her appearance.
I think the other kids perceive her to have a mental illness, whether she actually does or not. Once they find a weaker target, kids will pick on anything they can, true or not, including appearance.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.
Image

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan
Posts: 238
Joined: Nov 26, 2008 7:57 am
Location: Austin, TX
Status: Offline

May 30, 2009 9:44 am

Her character in "Juno" seemed to get picked on a lot too. I hope that's not what it was really like for her in school. :(
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."
User avatar

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 669
Joined: May 02, 2009 1:30 am
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

May 30, 2009 10:31 pm

bluetoes591 wrote: I think the other kids perceive her to have a mental illness, whether she actually does or not. Once they find a weaker target, kids will pick on anything they can, true or not, including appearance.
Yeah, kids can be very mean.
Image

Joe R.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 111
Joined: May 03, 2009 10:57 am
Status: Offline

Jun 10, 2009 10:31 am

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:Her character in "Juno" seemed to get picked on a lot too. I hope that's not what it was really like for her in school. :(
I don't think it was...considering she went to a school for acting children and there were some pretty famous people that came out her school. So maybe that school had a different atmosphere.


Jinzaar wrote:I think it's disturbing when the kids give her that list of insults and one of them is Sperm Coffin. How sick is that!
Thats just childish ignorance. To be honest, when I was in school I never said anything as stupid as the certain things they said in that movie. Since I was the socially/emotionally strong one I would end up defending people like Tracey because I felt sympathy for them and I would eventually befriend them. Those were certain things i despised about school...but i digress.
Our dreams keep us youthful and alive,the very breath which helps us thrive.
Our dreams are tangible and they keep us optimistic.
It's intangible when our dreams go from a dream to becoming realistic.
User avatar

Leif
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan
Posts: 209
Joined: Feb 16, 2009 6:59 am
Location: North
Status: Offline

Jun 10, 2009 4:14 pm

Joe R. wrote:I don't think it was...considering she went to a school for acting children and there were some pretty famous people that came out her school. So maybe that school had a different atmosphere.
That's news to me, what school was that and what other famous people went there?

Joe R.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 111
Joined: May 03, 2009 10:57 am
Status: Offline

Jun 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Leif wrote:
Joe R. wrote:I don't think it was...considering she went to a school for acting children and there were some pretty famous people that came out her school. So maybe that school had a different atmosphere.
That's news to me, what school was that and what other famous people went there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughan_Road_Academy
Here is a little more info i checked out. You can see there alumni and the program Ellen was (most likely) in called INTERACT. :)
Last edited by Joe R. on Jun 11, 2009 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our dreams keep us youthful and alive,the very breath which helps us thrive.
Our dreams are tangible and they keep us optimistic.
It's intangible when our dreams go from a dream to becoming realistic.
User avatar

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja
Posts: 4118
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 7:05 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

Jun 10, 2009 11:43 pm

But she graduated from a tiny and unusual eastern influenced school called Shambhala in Nova Scotia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shambhala_School
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.
Image
User avatar

Leif
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan
Posts: 209
Joined: Feb 16, 2009 6:59 am
Location: North
Status: Offline

Jun 11, 2009 1:30 am

I'm a little confused about this, did she go to this school before she graduated from high school or after? All wikipedia says is: "She also spent two years in Toronto, Ontario studying in the Interact Program at Vaughan Road Academy "
User avatar

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja
Posts: 4118
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 7:05 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

Jun 11, 2009 1:32 am

Leif wrote:I'm a little confused about this, did she go to this school before she graduated from high school or after? All wikipedia says is: "She also spent two years in Toronto, Ontario studying in the Interact Program at Vaughan Road Academy "
I believe it was grades 10 and 11, or maybe 9 and 10.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.
Image

Joe R.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 111
Joined: May 03, 2009 10:57 am
Status: Offline

Jun 11, 2009 6:06 am

bluetoes591 wrote:But she graduated from a tiny and unusual eastern influenced school called Shambhala in Nova Scotia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shambhala_School
yea the description as of when she attended what schools are very vague, they don't list a precise timline as to when she attended Vaughan Road Academy. It is intresting that she has Been bounced around to different shcools.
Our dreams keep us youthful and alive,the very breath which helps us thrive.
Our dreams are tangible and they keep us optimistic.
It's intangible when our dreams go from a dream to becoming realistic.
User avatar

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 761
Joined: Jul 20, 2010 10:26 am
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Status: Offline

Jul 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Sorry to post in such an old topic but I agree, it was a bit strange. Especially considering 2 out of the 3 girls who made fun of her in the halls and bathroom were far uglier than her, and the other one was slightly less attractive. But they did just make fun of her for having no tits (which is something that bugs me since I seem to be the ONLY guy on Earth who doesn't care about breasts...).

I think with the kinda more punky hair style and lack of makeup sometimes they were trying their best to make Ellen look a little more average, but she just can't help looking too damn cute :laugh: .
User avatar

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor
Posts: 666
Joined: Sep 08, 2009 2:55 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Status: Offline

Jul 29, 2010 12:37 am

It's been a while since I last saw it, but doesn't she become like one of those mentally ill street people we see on our streets (in Canada) these days? Particularly where she's sleeping on the bus and people are repelled by her.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)
User avatar

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 761
Joined: Jul 20, 2010 10:26 am
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Status: Offline

Jul 29, 2010 3:08 am

And I wasn't the only one who thought Tracey was kind of funny am I?
User avatar

it-must-be-love
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Posts: 13
Joined: Aug 06, 2010 9:45 pm
Location: BCN
Status: Offline

Aug 15, 2010 2:32 am

HeartHer wrote:And I wasn't the only one who thought Tracey was kind of funny am I?
This movie is one of my favourites..I recommend you to watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNABnGRPOCg

(The Tracey Fragments re-edited and unplugged from its multi-frame theatrical version back into a linear story.
Re-edited by Mike Naulls for the'Tracey Refragmented' contest.)

It's different than the original movie...I think it's even better :purpleconfused:
And YES! I do think that Tracey was funny kind of sarcastic too xD :loveblind:
"None but ourselves can free our minds" Bob Marley
User avatar

x-must
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 62
Joined: Aug 09, 2010 10:29 pm
Status: Offline

Aug 15, 2010 10:55 am

Tracey so cute, i want to kiss her...
hey
Post Reply