Dark Comedy?

The fragmented movie by Bruce McDonald

Topic author
baggycat
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Dec 15, 2008 10:06 pm

I remember on the old board there was a post about how EP called this movie a dark comedy. At first, I was really confused by that comment. Then it hit me: A lot of the monologues that Ellen did for the movie were quite hilarious.

For example, there was a whole cut out scene from the movie about some fast food restaurant -- I saw it in the "refragments". Ellen, not thinking that they were filming but just using the voice, was silently cracking up over it. Although the lasting impression of the movie is quite sad, the truth is that I can see why someone would call this a comedy of sorts. Any one with me?
"Hey big-puffy-version-of-Junebug. "

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 16, 2008 6:28 am

baggycat wrote:I remember on the old board there was a post about how EP called this movie a dark comedy. At first, I was really confused by that comment. Then it hit me: A lot of the monologues that Ellen did for the movie were quite hilarious.

For example, there was a whole cut out scene from the movie about some fast food restaurant -- I saw it in the "refragments". Ellen, not thinking that they were filming but just using the voice, was silently cracking up over it. Although the lasting impression of the movie is quite sad, the truth is that I can see why someone would call this a comedy of sorts. Any one with me?
===================================

Dark comedy is an accurate description for the most part. Thought it was funny when Tracey had her "fantasy sequence" with the "Tracey Berkowitz Affair" (parody of "Thomas Crown Affair" ?) movie promo/trailer.....with "my dyke b--ch mom" and "that knockout b--ch Debbie Dodge" in the credits.

There is also another kinda funny scene.....when she is on the bus and talking about boys...well umm...better not say....this is a family board :D

Topic author
baggycat
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Dec 17, 2008 9:33 pm

heheh, yea, the bus scenes were gold. :totalhappy: im guessing you were referring to the "birds and bugs and stuff..." line.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 18, 2008 11:59 am

baggycat wrote:heheh, yea, the bus scenes were gold. :totalhappy: im guessing you were referring to the "birds and bugs and stuff..." line.
Yep :D And also how "girls get smarter" doing this thing.... :biggrin: (family board...family board)

Kinda funny...in a sort of odd way...how Tracey whacked that "blimp pimp/pusher" with the open can of beans to the throat (never seen someone whacked like that before)

Topic author
baggycat
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Dec 18, 2008 5:58 pm

UCFRdWarrior wrote: Kinda funny...in a sort of odd way...how Tracey whacked that "blimp pimp/pusher" with the open can of beans to the throat (never seen someone whacked like that before)
yea me either. I can just imagine the news headlines: "Man Killed With a Can of Beans: 15 Yr. Old Run-away is Suspect." :sassy:

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 19, 2008 8:13 am

baggycat wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote: Kinda funny...in a sort of odd way...how Tracey whacked that "blimp pimp/pusher" with the open can of beans to the throat (never seen someone whacked like that before)
yea me either. I can just imagine the news headlines: "Man Killed With a Can of Beans: 15 Yr. Old Run-away is Suspect." :sassy:
======================================
Yep getting whacked by a can of beans is a weird way to go...except maybe here in Florida :D Gosh in Florida we have had three people assaulted by sandwiches in the last few weeks :biggrin:

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jan 18, 2009 10:30 pm

I wouldn't call it a Dark Comedy, or even a comedy for that matter. Pretty much every movie has a little line that may seem funny. It was a drama. I actually just watched it for the first time a couple hours ago. Wasn't the best movie ever, but certainly interesting. Not necessarily good, but interesting. (Filmography, timeline, etc.) It was a unique movie, to say the least.

Topic author
baggycat
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Feb 01, 2009 4:51 am

I rewatched the movie the other night. I still love it, just like the first time. I have, however, seen a pattern that some people love this movie and some people don't. some people enjoy the layout, others find it distracting.
Seeing the comedy in it, I've found, is also personal. There's a certain irony to the whole movie that makes it a dark comedy to me. others may only see the sadness or how twisted tracey's mind was. so i guess what you would classify it as depends on your point of view.

dodom
Neon Chuck Norris
Neon Chuck Norris

Feb 01, 2009 10:46 am

baggycat wrote:Seeing the comedy in it, I've found, is also personal. There's a certain irony to the whole movie that makes it a dark comedy to me. others may only see the sadness or how twisted tracey's mind was. so i guess what you would classify it as depends on your point of view.
I am interested to see how this ends up being personal for you? In the sense that this has some kind of relationship to something personal in your life...Is that what you mean by seeing from your "point of view".
She said i'm more like a fool for soul and passion

Topic author
baggycat
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Feb 01, 2009 5:16 pm

dodom wrote:
baggycat wrote:Seeing the comedy in it, I've found, is also personal. There's a certain irony to the whole movie that makes it a dark comedy to me. others may only see the sadness or how twisted tracey's mind was. so i guess what you would classify it as depends on your point of view.
I am interested to see how this ends up being personal for you? In the sense that this has some kind of relationship to something personal in your life...Is that what you mean by seeing from your "point of view".
There's nothing that's directly personal to the story, per say, but I guess I'm the kind of person who's always looking for something. And yea, I make up my own little dream worlds like Tracey, sometimes, when things get really bad for me.
So I guess I can relate with what's going on in her life. The fact that I'm going through similar situations (although not at all as terrible as her's) and that i'm not sad, myself, makes me think that she might not be so sad. And because I don't view it that way, I can see the humor.
Did that make any sense?

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Feb 06, 2009 5:21 pm

I suppose. However, everyone has "their own world". Everyone views the world differently. That's why there are optimists and pecimests. (I think I spelled that wrong). I, too, have imagine things happening that aren't really. I'm not a schizoid or anything, I just do. Again, not to say nothing in that movie is funny or ironic, or to put you down in any way. Just that I, personally, wouldn't classify this as a comedy. Dark comedies to me are something like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

thewizardguy

Feb 08, 2009 7:05 am

Wasn't a comedy, but every movie has comedic moments, whether intended or not (Snakes On A Plane, anyone)?

I also remember and laugh every time I think of the line violating the family board...my favorite bit of it is the end, where if the boy is dumb, nothing happens, and Tracey seems oblivious to the insult. Hilarious.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

What a sad ending too...I almost cried when he pushed her out of the car =(

Topic author
baggycat
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Feb 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Forum Shark wrote:Again, not to say nothing in that movie is funny or ironic, or to put you down in any way.
And I'm not putting anyone down for thinking that this is *not* a dark comedy. I value the opinions of the people on this board. If i didnt, I wouldnt have asked. ;)

miKe
Ghost Cat Hero
Ghost Cat Hero

Feb 08, 2009 8:31 pm

I think Chelsea talked me into believing it's a tragicomedy.
Dictionary.com says "tragicomedy" means "a dramatic or other literary composition combining elements of both tragedy and comedy."

Topic author
baggycat
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Feb 08, 2009 8:34 pm

I agree -- tragicomedy it is! well, for me, anyway.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 05, 2009 2:49 pm

UCFRdWarrior wrote: Yep :D And also how "girls get smarter" doing this thing.... :biggrin: (family board...family board)
It was kinda weird hearing some of those lines in her sweet little voice. :)

Chelsea
Whip It Extra
Whip It Extra

May 06, 2009 2:57 am

miKe wrote:I think Chelsea talked me into believing it's a tragicomedy.
Dictionary.com says "tragicomedy" means "a dramatic or other literary composition combining elements of both tragedy and comedy."
:haha: I think you're right...
What if I wasn't Christian right now? That'd be awkward. ... Could you imagine if I was like, hm. I celebrate Ka-wanza.

It's so funny when people try to label me a cool, indie girl. No, I’m pretty sure I was in a movie called I Downloaded a Ghost.

lukf

Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am

There are obviously comedic aspects in this movie although mostly tragic...

ThePageTurner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Feb 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Well,i wouldn't call the film a dark comedy.Not by a long shot.I understand there are a few lines here and there that are a bit funny (especially the way Tracey says them out loud) but that's it.For me at least,this movie is a social drama.It is all about a frustrated teenage girl filled with angst,growing up in a dysfunctional family,enduring constant bullying by her cruel classmates and having to deal with severe PTSD.This movie (and especially the book) made me legitimately sad.