What a movie

The film version of the fate of Sylvia Likens

Topic author
BigBigBill
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Nov 16, 2008 9:07 pm

I've seen this movie three times now. The first time I watched it by myself. The second time I watched it with my friend, Lauren, from school. She loved it so much that we decided that our other friends had to see it. Two days later we watched it again with four or five people. Two of my friends were reeeeally affected by it. They both said that they'd never been so angry after watching a movie in their lives. They couldn't understand why anyone would ever treat anyone that way. I felt proud that I showed them a film that had such an effect on them. Especially one that has Ellen in it. Just thought I'd share!
When she opens her mouth, the universe comes out.

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Nov 16, 2008 10:09 pm

BigBigBill wrote: I felt proud that I showed them a film that had such an effect on them. Especially one that has Ellen in it. Just thought I'd share!
Yeah, that's always such a cool feeling, spreading the word around and whatnot. That's how it was when I showed it to my family. All of them had just about the same reaction that your friends had. What an awful tragedy.

I still wish it had gone into a little more detail though. As emotional as it was, it also felt a bit shallow.
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

Topic author
BigBigBill
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Nov 16, 2008 10:46 pm

I know what you mean, and I can't say I don't agree.
When she opens her mouth, the universe comes out.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 17, 2008 1:27 am

As heartbreaking and shocking as it would've been to go into more detail, it was what really happened and Sylvia's true and full unedited story should definitely be told so everyone knows what this poor girl had to endure at the hands of these terrible people. Those kids knew it was wrong and the neighbourhood knew - someone should've said something to someone! It just hurts to think that she was all alone without the help or compassion of anyone the whole time!

A heinous and undescribable acts of torture and inhumanity! It just shows that some people are truly evil and have no respect for human life in this world.

Another movie I'm not terribly keen on watching again.
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

CinemaDust
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 17, 2008 3:05 am

I could barley eat dinner after reading the articles, and then I made the mistake of watching AC before work and was disturbed all day.

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Nov 17, 2008 3:20 am

Yeah, this one definitely haunted me for few days after I saw it.
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Nov 17, 2008 5:37 am

Lori wrote:
A heinous and undescribable acts of torture and inhumanity! It just shows that some people are truly evil and have no respect for human life in this world.
I'm still a firm believer that Gertrude's actions can't just be written off as her being "evil." I think the meds she was on not only amplified the stress and depression she was already feeling, but made her a completely different person all together. You could tell deep down that this woman loved her kids, so she was definitely capable of showing compassion. I'm not giving Gertrude an out, I'm just saying it's not usually so black and white.

As for the children, you have to remember the time period. Back then the train of thought was, "Don't talk back to mama, no matter what." The children simply were doing as they were told, and were also under the influence of Gertie's severely altered state of mind. That being said though, and this is probably contradictory, but the kids definitely should have been held accountable for their actions since they should have had the sense to question their mother's instructions given the situation.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 17, 2008 6:04 am

You know when I was typing that I was thinking of those things. Somebody once said to me that not many are truly evil and just about every crime committed comes from love somewhere along the lines. Love of family, love of a certain action etc.

I agree that I think the meds warped her good sense and she may have even wiped the acts from her mind afterwards because one cannot think about it and not feel bad unless they thought it was totally justified. She loved her kids fiercely enought ot commit these horrid acts so no, she wasn't evil.

And yes, the kids definitely knew it was wrong whether they were told otherwise by the mother or not. No one could feel happy when committing these crimes (a select few sickos I guess) so the feeling alone would tell you it was wrong. Somebody should've just stood up and been brave enough to say something.

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Nov 17, 2008 6:11 am

I'm not sure that evil truely exists. Even Hitler thought he was benefiting the human race.

I think Gertrude had become delusional and was perhaps unaware of the severity of her actions.
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Nov 17, 2008 6:19 am

LostPilgrim wrote: I think Gertrude had become delusional and was perhaps unaware of the severity of her actions.
Yeah I don't think it was until Sylvia actually passed away that she actually went "Oh shit, what did I just do?" Up until that point she probably (at least in her altered state) believed she was just punishing her and doing her some good. I don't know anyone who would consider branding to be an acceptable form of punishment unless something wasn't quite right mentally.

greatcomedian18

Nov 17, 2008 11:17 pm

I think I'd be too sad to see ellen get beaten up and killed let alone to think that this actually happened. Shame, the sickness of some people.

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Dec 09, 2008 9:56 am

I'm still trying to get up the nerve to watch it. I'm just not sure I can handle watching Ellen get brutally tortured for an entire movie. I still want to see it, but I'm like working up to it.

Maybe the secret is to watch "Hard Candy" first, so that you don't feel quite as sorry for her. :D
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."

N3mesis
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Dec 10, 2008 5:49 pm

I watched the movie to its great and really shocking me, too
But i think that Gertrude "Gerty" wasnt a bad human in the movie how other said it was the stress and the life she had at that moment i mean at the beginning it was normaly like in every other famaly at least at the time.
But the action which the "girlfriend" of sylvia took to say that syslvia said shes a bitch wasn´t really fair.

What eva I think it was a really good movie and i think that this what happend there in the house is a thing which happends every day on any place on earth. Behind our eyes. And then after 10 Years we will know it but then its to late.
3DS Modeling, Coding, Animating, Texture and Soundartists!

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jan 21, 2009 1:31 am

Just finished watching it. It was amazing and maddening at the same time. It makes me sick to see people like Gertrude be sentenced to life, and only get 20 years (she died 5 years later, but still). It was refreshing to see Ellen in this role, we're used to seeing her almost always as some bad-(insert other word for "butt" here) teenager. Overall, I greatly enjoyed this movie!
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

woaitang

Feb 18, 2009 4:21 am

I want to watch this movie also .but pity at least now i can not.

Irina
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Mar 22, 2009 9:10 am

Just watched this film.It's a really shocking tragedy.While watching it you feel all the tragedy of the girl.Of course you can't be indifferent.This film challenge a compassion and empathy.From all films with Ellen Page I've seen-it's the best one...

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Mar 23, 2009 12:54 am

Really Irina? Is that because it made you feel the most? Just wondering :)

Irina
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Mar 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Lori, and what should i feel? :noclue: Are you don't agree with me?

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Mar 24, 2009 12:21 am

Oh no, I was just wondering why you thought it was her best movie - just out of interest. I like to know what others think, is all. Gives different perspectives. And I'm certainly not telling you how to feel, that's not up to me - or anyone else.

What I meant was, did you like it because you felt so moved by the story or was it because of the acting or ... whatever reason? As I said, it's just out of interest.

I'm not sure if I posted here or on the previous site to this one, but it's a very disturbing story and although I think EP gives a spectacular performance, in my opinion it's not her best movie.

I have read quite extensively into the story and I feel that it didn't show enough of what really happened. True, no one wants to see anymore than what atrocities were already portrayed but it doesn't reveal the true extent of the horror that Sylvia really went through. The story is horrendous and people may not be able to stomach that - but these people actually DID these terrible, horrifying things and that story should be told truthfully.

It's just my opinion so I wanted to know yours, that's all :)

Irina
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Mar 24, 2009 5:52 am

Lori, now I inderstood you. ;)
I think that the film is the the best of all films i watched with EP because:the story is very doleful, the director is talented and Ellen's play is very realistic.It's the small part of the reasons i can tell you(in english) :)